View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 01:07 PM

As some of you know I have a close friend who teaches ESL at a community college. She said some of the teachers have been cut, but there are still plenty of classes. She teaches at level 6 and told me last week that she had just found out some of her students were also enrolled in level 7 at the same time. What upset her was that these same students should only be at level 5, but are allowed to enter at just about any class they want and in two classes at the same time.

I asked her if they were paying for the classes. She said probably not, because of the Boag Fee Waver, where they simply fill out a half page form stating they don't make much money. No one really checks to make sure the information is true, they just get the classes for free. She was also angry that many of these same students get free books and supplies, along with other grants. They aren't getting anything out of these classes because the classes are so above their level of understanding, but our tax dollars are paying for them.

She also said that they're dumb as a door knob, and that she's lucky if one or two actually have the cognitive ability to gain from the classes. That was her opinion and she's a liberal through and through.