TODD STAPLES
COMMISSIONER
September 26, 2011
Dear Fellow Texan:
I am pleased to deliver to you this important report entitled “Texas Border
Security: A Strategic Military Assessment.” This report is the culmination of
many efforts that started with rural farmers and ranchers bringing pleas for a
secure border to me.
The 82nd Texas Legislature recognized this critical issue and the numerous accounts of cross-border
violence and tasked the Texas Department of Agriculture via House Bill 4, to conduct:
“an assessment of the impact of illegal activity along the Texas-Mexico border on rural
landowners and the agriculture industry and working in conjunction with other appropriate
entities to develop recommendations to enhance border security.”
In accomplishing this legislative directive, the Texas Department of Agriculture joined with the
Texas Department of Public Safety to jointly commission retired four-star Army General Barry
McCaffrey and retired Army Major-General Robert Scales for this unique and strategic assessment.
General Barry McCaffrey is the former Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy
under President Bill Clinton and former Commander of all U.S. troops in Central and South
America. Major-General Robert Scales is the former Commandant of the United States Army War
College.
The report offers a military perspective on how to best incorporate strategic, operational and tactical
measures to secure the increasingly hostile border regions along the Rio Grande River. It also
provides sobering evidence of cartel criminals gaining ground on Texas soil.
As Texas continues to seek and deliver solutions to this attack on our nation’s sovereignty, I hope
you will find this report enlightening and helpful in our collaborative efforts. We must continue this
effort until the rights of property owners to live and work are upheld without threat of violence.
Sincerely yours,
Todd Staples
Texas Border Security: A Strategic Military Assessment, 09/20/11 Colgen LP

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The report is massive. A few cuts and pastes from 182 pages won't provide the flavor and context of this document.

The computer industry is fast moving and evolving. Those that persist in hanging on to old, obsolete computers and software will be left behind.
What was that? A jab at me because I'm not "fast moving and evolving"? If you have so much cash and can stay up to date with technology, then maybe you can donate some of that cash to SOS. I'm sure you could reimburse me for what I've donated and then I would have more money to put toward "fast moving and evolving" technology. Just saying!!!