View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM

No. The country was not always insane. I'm old enough to have witnessed the transformation.

In the 50's and 60's when I grew up, the US was an ascending civilization. Today it is a civilization in decline.

In the 50's we were on the dawn of the space age. Sputnik hit this country like a thunderclap and there was a call to raise rather than to lower performance in schools. The space program was a great unifier that embodied the highest aspects of the signature achievement of Western Civilization: The Voyage of Discovery. In those days the history of voyages of discovery by Europeans who had mastered ship building and navigation skills were matters of pride rather than shame and it was kind of like there was a straight line from going around the world in a sailing ship to leaving the Earth and exploring other worlds in a rocked powered space ship.

The world joined the US in applauding our landing on the moon. The space program did not just secure the technical superiority of the US and unify Americans, it unified the world in something everyone could be proud of. If you want to be admired, do admirable things and in those days this country did just that. America was not universally admired, but its landing on the Moon was.

Real incomes increased during that era and there was a rising trajectory of expectations that continued until the early 1970's. In the 50's and early 60's, prices were pretty much stable, even with high employment and rising incomes. High inflation did not hit until the late 60's early 70's. It seems weird that for 10-15 years prices would stay stable and real incomes would increase, but that's the way it was.

Schools were completely different. My father's employment was military related and I went to school all over the country in a dozen different states. I liked some schools and some teachers better than others, but truthfully I never had a bad teacher or a bad school. My teachers were all professional, courteous, sympathetic people and they spent their time teaching the subject matter, not campaigning full time for the Democrat Party and preaching anti-White hatred. They were, in a word, "classy."

Students were also different then too. I never heard a student curse a teacher. Not one time. Today, teachers tell me they are relieved to be cursed out instead of being physically assaulted. Also, parents supported teachers. If the teacher called home and said you were clowning around in class and being a disruption, your parents kicked your ass and got your mind right. If you were doing poorly the teacher called home and your parents turned off the TV and made you do homework and helped you instead of demanding tax increases on the rich or suing the schools for "civil rights" violations. (Read Barack Obama's book Dreams From My Father, where he describes his white mother tutoring him for three hours per day but as a community organizer he tells black mothers to organize for more tax money and subsidies instead of helping their kids with homework as his mother helped him.)

Jobs were readily available. Workers were in demand and a college degree meant a good job. Even blue collar jobs were good. Families could afford to buy a new car every five years and own a home on a single salary.

The culture was different. In those days you could hear church bells on Sunday mornings. It doesn't sound like a very important thing, but even if you don't believe in religion, it was very uplifting and peaceful to hear that sound. There was something very calming and reassuring about it.

Outside of New York City, there was no gun control. You could buy mail order guns. We had no school shootings. We actually had guns in the schools in the guise of the Reserve Officer's Training Corps (ROTC) and we had rifle competition with other schools. On my way to spend summer on uncle's ranch in Texas, I walked through the airport and got on a commercial airliner with a cased .22 rifle and nobody batted an eye. After turning 18, I plunked down fifty bucks for a Colt .45 auto with no background checks or waiting period. You can't imagine the freedom we had.

People were different too. As a child at family gatherings or between my parents and their friends, grown ups talked about the Great Depression and how hard it was. But they were always cheerful and laughed at the hardships they endured. My dad and his older brother had one good pair of shoes between then and they'd go on dates on different nights so that they could share their one pair of shoes. They laughed about it without bitterness or hatred. People also talked about how much they helped and were helped by each other during those hard times. Complete strangers would share what little they had with others who were less fortunate. I heard these kinds of stories over and over from different people in different parts of the country. My dad was from the north and my mom from the South and they had different religions and different accents, yet both extended families told substantially the same stories about meeting the hardships of the depression and the years of WW2 and helping and being helped by strangers. I never saw a house with bars on the windows and doors like today, where entire neighborhoods and even the churches are fortified with bars and locked gates.

By contrast, today, people are terrified of each other and avoid personal contact as much as possible. A few months ago I walked up to another motorist in a crowded shopping center parking in broad daylight to ask for help with a jump to start my car. I was alone and wearing a suit and tie. He looked terrified and sped away without even rolling down his window.

Working my way through college in the 60's, it never took me more than a couple of days to get some kind of work: Full time in the summer or part time during the school year. In those days, people who needed yard work or odd jobs done would call local colleges for students to do work. I got a lot of jobs that way. When I graduated from college, I got a management trainee job with a major corporation and was promoted to a management position in 18 months.

In 1967 I helped organize a rally to support our men in Viet Nam. The one cop who was assigned to keep order, stood under a shade tree with folded arms looking at his watch as he waited to go home. A couple of anti-war people showed up, but they were polite and friendly and did not try to break up our gathering. Today you couldn't have a small rally of a few hundred people like that without a small army of cops to protect you from the Left or the Mexicans.

Money went a lot further. Candy bars and newspapers cost a dime. Postage stamps cost .03. Gas was .30 a gallon. My first new car out of college, a top of the line model, cost $4,500.00. My payments were $86 a month. You could rent a nice apartment for $150.00 per month.

To answer your question: No. America was not always insane. In my life time we had hope, optimism and accomplishments, such as the space program, for which America was universally admired, even as it was disliked for other reasons. In those days we did have problems such as the Cold War, but we also had hope and we saw and experienced progress with our own eyes and our own paychecks. The Cold War loomed over us in its various guises, whether in the arms race, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the wars in Viet Nam and other places, but it was obvious that the Communist government didn't have the support of their peoples and that sooner or later Communism would collapse under the weight of its own contradictions. This is what happened to the USSR in 1989. Cuba and North Korea are now isolated hold outs from which their citizens risk their lives to escape...just like at the height of the Cold War. Ultimately, the US won the Cold War by being a better country, not by force of arms in a world war. Thank God!

Today, there is little hope for any kind of decent future for the US. The American population is being dispossessed and ethnically cleansed by third world primitives who are transforming our country into what they came here to escape. I predict one of two things: (1) A civil war that will culminate in a brutal police state like the Bolshevik Revolution with suppression of freedom, slave labor camps and mass murder, or, (2) a collapse and break up of the US similar to the collapse of USSR with new regions being organized along ethnic lines. The black and Mexican areas will be ungovernable and uninhabitable, just like they are today, and there will be a flood of refugees to the white areas so that they can attach themselves to hated white racists for a "better life." This time they will not be welcomed with open arms and free healthcare.

Last edited by Don; 01-22-2013 at 11:59 AM.