View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM
"SZinWestLA"

I heard a very similar conversation during the Holiday Season, in a Riverside courthouse, between a Latino Sheriff and a Hispanic Spanish language translator. It was a real mixed bag of opinions covering the gamut from absolute enforcement to amnesty.

I specifically recall interviewing an elderly Mexican-American woman by the name of Ana Gaines, in Phoenix a couple years ago. She's with a border security group called You Don't Speak For Me. She adamantly told me that the press just ignores many Latinos b/c they just assume that they're all pro-amnesty. She insisted that that was "far from the case."

Given the fact that Hispanics in the U.S. hail from different countries, occupy different socio-economic positions and have varying levels of education, it stands to reason that there should be at least some diversity of opinion. What I've noticed (during a few years of informal observation) is that the same thing that essentially holds true among black, white and Asian U.S. citizens, applies to the Latino population as well. It is the gray haired set that is much more likely to believe that current laws should be enforced. Folks over age 50, in general, are far less enthused about the idea of another amnesty (Maybe b/c they can remember what a royal failure the one in '86 was).