View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
This is beyond bizarre. They didn't even have a written language until Europeans came, much less electricity, buses, etc. How much more weird can you get?
I'm sure they are very thankful for those things the Europeans brought, because the lack of them was their biggest problem at the time.

As far as I know, they did have a written language, albeit symbols. But then again, most written languages are symbols. What concepts, thoughts and ideas they had were conveyed by a whole lot less symbols than what it generally takes us to do the same thing today. I write alot obviously, and I think highly of the written word, but after having been exposed to numerous lawsuits, pages and sentences which I had to read numerous times in an attempt to grasp, I can't help but wonder if we haven't been led astray by concentration on every last, minute detail and trying to express it with a zillion words.
Take McCain, Obama, Nightingale, etc... We spend hours and pages writing down all the intricate details of our thoughts on their actions, words, and speeches. In contrast, the Mayans probably had one single symbol that stood for lying, cheating, back-stabbing, gutter crawling fraud who cannot be trusted