View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
I think the story is bullshit myself. If it's true, there are plenty of legal remedies to be applied, and this would be a classic example of something the ACLU would throw itself into. No need for the Justice Department to waste taxpayer dollars on something so many "immigration rights" attorneys would maybe do for free.

Tell that to the multitude of naturalized citizens who have been here for thirty years or so and can't put a sentence together in English.

The fact that they are non English speaking citizens is not their fault - that sin squarely lies on the English speaking American citizen "civil servants" who granted them citizenship.

What to fix illegal immigration? Make it painful for government employees to ignore immigration and naturalization law.

Otherwise all the bitching is merely a volume of hot air, nothing will change.
I have to disagree with you on whose fault it is that so many can't speak English. What I've found here in Fillmore and just about everywhere I go is that most who are bilingual, especially those that are bilingual in English and Spanish, will only speak English if they have to. So when speaking to others even if both are bilingual, they will speak in Spanish.
The question is "How do you learn a language?" The answer is "By being around it and using it." The problem is those that can teach others don't want the others to learn English, or don't really care if they learn it. They actually have an obligation to teach English to those around them to help them assimilate, yet they couldn't care less. Yes, I am of the opinion that it is their fault. They don't bother teaching the parents or their kids, so the kids start school and require extra effort by the teachers, which costs the taxpayer.

I can tell you that every day when I'm out and about, I see the same thing; people speaking Spanish to each other, but when they turn to address me, then and only then do they speak English. This goes for the bank tellers to the grocery clerks and everyone in between. They will only speak English if they have to. They really want to let everyone know they are "Their People".

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 12-29-2010 at 07:41 PM.