View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 AM

I've been profiled in another way.

I fired a lazy piece of shit the other day because I spent 90% of my time chasing him and another guy he had parded up with around making sure they were doing their jobs. They would screw off right in front of me, then resorted to trying to hide after I began bird dogging them. The one would find all kinds of reasons not to complete a task, and both were becoming resentful.

I have three other hands who are low maintenance, just point them in a direction and they go to work.

This is a crew I inherited from a departing foreman, whose mess I had to clean up.

I kept the one because I had heard from several sources that he was a good hand before he started hanging with the bad apple and has some knowledge which is beneficial to the crew, he just barely survived getting smoked as well.

And, firing the bad apple worked - I got rid of a problem and it tuned up the kid I kept.

However, since the pair have Mexican ancestors and I'm a white guy the departed screw off is out spreading the word that I am a "racist who hates Mexicans".

Every time I tell this story to those of a Latin American skin tone who know me the reaction is a huge belly laugh. The man doesn't know anything about my personal life and the race card isn't going to work for him.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 03-24-2013 at 03:19 AM.