View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 AM

I stopped by the post office again yesterday and spoke with a clerk who guessed right away what I was up to. She asked "are you mailing envelopes to someone in an institution"? She also told me that a return receipt would delay delivery, she's heard that the guards don't like signing for anything.

Anyway, the postage paid envelopes are 54 cents each, and a larger envelope big enough to include a pad of paper as well is 99 cents plus postage for it all.

I also inquired of a former "guest" of LA county. He told me that paper and a pencil can be obtained from the guards, but envelopes and stamps are hard to come by. He said to get envelopes which have the stamp embossed on them, that incredible as it sounds drugs get smuggled into jail under stamps, and take the metal tab off of manila envelopes and seal it with tape only - some prisoners are very creative in taking anything metal or plastic and fashioning weapons. The inference to me is that either delivery will be delayed or maybe not forwarded to the prisoner at all with the tab. He also said that any writing instruments sent will be confiscated by the guards.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 10-27-2010 at 02:03 AM.