View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Why would this law automatically revolve around one race? or any specific race?
So you really think that LE will pull over white Caucasians and ask them to prove their immigration/citizenship status based on "reasonable suspicion"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
If you take a look at my thread about illegal alien tracker in Sac, there are many different races being checked for immigration status. The cause usually revolves around specific ID issues, not race. Either they present false ID, no ID and give false information. or have some evidence on them that may implicate them in an illegal presence crime.
The issue is that LE had "reasonable suspicion" that some other crime was being committed. The problem with SB1070 is that this bill bases "reasonable suspicion" on immigration status. I have no issue with a person having their immigration status checked because they are suspected of another crime, but to make "reasonable suspicion" of immigration status the sole basis for stopping a person just smacks of a totalitarian state (insert German accent), "I want to see your papers!"

Edited to add: I think that the intention of this bill is admirable. However the wording of this bill is abominable.

Last edited by PochoPatriot; 04-14-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Clarification