View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochoPatriot View Post
I believe that this bill is bad law, and I hope that it gets overturned, because "reasonable suspicion" is too low a threshold for LE, and will lead to American citizens being harassed by LEO.

My biggest question as an American citizen of Latino heritage is, "What is meant by the term 'reasonable suspicion'"? Is it any brown person? Is it any brown person with a large family? Is it any brown person driving an older model car? Does this mean that I have to be concerned about getting pulled over for DWB (driving while brown) when I visit my family in Arizona or when I am traveling through Arizona to visit my dad in New Mexico? Perhaps I should just bypass Arizona altogether and spend my money in Nevada, Utah and Colorado. Does this mean that I have to "prove" my citizenship to any Arizona LEO just because he has "reasonable suspicion" that I am illegal? Since when do I have to prove anything to any LEO? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

This bill is full of too many holes. It is a knee jerk reaction that is going to cause more problems than it will solve, and it should be overturned.
Why would this law automatically revolve around one race? or any specific race?
If you take a look at my thread about illegal alien tracker in Sac, there are many different races being checked for immigration status. The cause usually revolves around specific ID issues, not race. Either they present false ID, no ID and give false information. or have some evidence on them that may implicate them in an illegal presence crime.