View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
Following up from February 22nd.

Everything working like a fine Swiss watch. Boot up in a flash. Browse here and there easily. Play You Tube and other videos, food preparations, flint napping, fishing, how to, equipment demonstrations, documentaries and on and on.

Windows firewall is working fine as is Norton. Regularly receive automatic updates.

I even went back to the Turbo-tax file that was messed up from the original disk *( I also did my taxes on line on the Turbo-tax website ). Down loaded the State forms, completed all and stored it on an external hard drive. So I have two files, on my external drive and on the Turbo-tax website. Next year the data will be available for fill in for 2012 taxes.
OK; Now you're just bragging

Norton is not the only fish out there. But, most of what you describe is true. Norton takes over as the firewall when you install it, and if you look at it afterwards (the firewall), it says it's off. But...when you let the firewall run everything, and let exceptions to it through, Norton won't catch anything harmful after that until it's already taken root. Norton will do its' job, but most of us allow things through just to have them. Once you allow them, they aren't seen as threats anymore, and then they get bigger and more consuming without you knowing about them until they overburden your operations. I'm always removing stuff from the startup menu, and then afterwards, run registry check again, because if it's still in there, the boot up will still do something with it, even if it's just taking extra time to examine or resolve it. But the bottom line is, microsoft and other programmers are always designing new stuff that won't be very compatible with old systems. that's their way of making us all obsolete if we don't move with them at their insistence.