View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 08:04 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
Let's get beyond the school lunch and think about why there are now so many school shootings - which never happened in yesteryear when kids had knives, played "cowboys and Indians" or "cops and robbers", had BB guns and 22 rifles, many hunted with shot guns and rifles, went everywhere with little fear of abduction and random child molestation and so on.

We have to address the cultural shift, otherwise the talk is meaningless.
I can remember back when I was 5 or 6 years old (the late 50's), and at least two separate incidents of teens pulling knives on other students at what used to be Sac High school. Those teens probably didn't have guns is all. It's not new, but what is new is the grander population. There were bad kids back when I was in junior high, including one kid who robbed the doughnut shop next to the school, and got in a running gunfight with a cop. Both were shot. I don't think school shootings are not new per se, but rather a ratio that is becoming more publicized. We are getting more jammed together, so more restricted by our own expansion, and eventually a pipe bursts.