View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 AM

Default more

The British people support the Royal Family by 80%.

The pomp and circumstance, to me, was several things. It was a grand production. I wouldn't compare it to a Hollywood extravaganza as the British Royalty predated Hollywood by generations. But I will say that it was surely resurrecting the Grandeur of the former British Empire that is no more. A dinosaur. The past. The Brits are clinging to their past. Something like our reenactments of the Civil War wherein the actors dress up in old Civil War uniforms, carry muskets and fire cannons.

Just one point. The Queen is not in charge of England. The British parliament and the Prime Minister are. The Royal family survives by the grace of the people, not by the power of the Queen. England could end the Royalty and it's stipends at any time they wish. It/they is/are a part of World History and the evolutionary ascent of mankind and that's what I enjoy seeing.

so long as it has to do with learned behavior of individuals who may make up a group which is harmful, indecent, objectionable etc.

Dislike or other rejection based on race is wrong, and it doesn't matter which race the rejectionist belongs, it flies in the face of what the founders - themselves flawed human beings like the rest of us who were the product of their times and subject to not always living up to their vision - sought for our nation.

Everyone is prejudiced about something, it what one does with it that counts. With Mexican nationals, I have a weird thing in my head which all at the same time I love them and hate them all, something that a "Latino activist" wouldn't admit to but will fully understand the sentiment. And, like them, I am also well aware of the great difference between a Mexican National and an American with Mexican ancestors. I try to treat everyone as an individual, there are decent people and abject assholes everywhere.

More or less agreed somewhat:

Speaking to sanctimonious hypocrisy, when I lived in Venezuela there was more racism there between the white Venezuelans and coloreds, brown/tan/black, than in the USA. Some/many American blacks certainly carry a chip on their shoulder against Whitey, the Honky. Except when it comes to the women. Lets take OJ Simpson, Michael Jackson, Barack Obama senior, Sammy Davis,Jr., Tiger Woods, Seal *( the British performer married to Heidi Klum) . They certainly had a clear preference for white. What must black women think ? Does anyone ever hear them speak to the issue ?

Last edited by wetibbe; 05-01-2011 at 03:38 AM.