View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:52 PM

From that link:

Quote:

Real's mother, Maria Leon, an illegal immigrant from Tlalchapa, had 14 children on Drew Street, including 10 sons, with four men, he said. She had sold drugs there since the late 1980s, Real said, as did his uncles, aunts, cousins and stepfathers. He and his brothers each joined the gang as they entered their teens.

Real tried to break from his family and go straight, even receiving First Communion alone at 17, he said. But, "every time I try to get out, they pull me back in."

On April 30, 2008, while several members of his family were in jail, Real said, he went to the FBI -- finding the number by calling 411. He said agents interviewed him but never got back to him. Two months later, his name led a 158-page federal indictment of more than 70 Drew Streeters.

In custody, Real began cooperating with investigators. In return, his mother told him she hated him, his sisters and uncles stopped taking his collect calls, his brothers were asked to kill him.

"I never thought my family would turn like that on me," he said.