View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Kellar gave city a black eye

BY Mario Galvez
Saugus
Posted: Feb. 5, 2010 10:28 p.m.
POSTED Feb. 6, 2010 4:30 a.m.
http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/24255/

In his own words, Bob Kellar expressed a personal belief that he is a proud racist.

We are all entitled to say stupid things now and then, but his refusal to apologize and his determination to stand by his statement makes it obvious that this man can no longer be considered a credible public representative of all of Santa Clarita.

He is truly out of step with modern America and has given this beautiful city a black eye.

Illegal immigration is a problem that will never be solved as long as we continue to offer illegal immigrants work.

Kellar, we are part of the problem, because we like to hire cheap labor such as gardeners, nannies to look after our children, cooks, house-cleaning ladies and low-skilled factory jobs.

I am a proud American citizen, and I can tell you for a fact it has nothing to do with being a proud racist. You and your supporters belong to an era long gone.

comments to the article:
BBennetts:
February 06, 2010 - 11:27 AM
You could not be more wrong. Kellar did not say he was a "racist" or a "proud racist." He said "The only thing I heard back from a couple of people was `Bob, you sound like a racist.' "I said, `That's good. If that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, then I'm a proud racist. You're darn right I am."'
Might I suggest you take a critical thinking or English class at our local college so you can understand why he was not calling himself a racist? It is a shame you cannot grasp this concept.
Brad:
February 06, 2010 - 11:46 AM
Mr Galvez,
You wrote:
"In his own words, Bob Kellar expressed a personal belief that he is a proud racist. "
Although this is a 'Letter to the editor', your first sentence (intentionally or unintenionally) appears to be your presentation of a FACT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_KDp...
youtube.com/watch?v=qE_KDpz2M30
Please watch this youtube video containing Mr Kellar's presentation and listen very carefully to his words.
You are entitled to your OPINION, of course.
Just be aware so that you do not (unintentionally) pass off your OPINIONS (or anyone else's) as FACTS.
I agree with the following that you wrote-
Illegal immigration is a problem that will never be solved as long as we continue to offer illegal immigrants work.
"Kellar, we are part of the problem, because we like to hire cheap labor such as gardeners, nannies to look after our children, cooks, house-cleaning ladies and low-skilled factory jobs."
IMO, you raise a good point.
Hiring illegal immigrants costs less and as long as there is a profit incentive at risk, public policy changes will meet much resistance from those who stand to lose profits.
JuliaSimmons:
February 06, 2010 - 12:19 PM
A well done and thoughtful letter. Thank you.
And speaking of critical thinking:
This isn't about semantics. The groups had the right to assemble and protest. Bob Kellar has a right to speak his mind, as a private citizen.
Yet he chose to speak as a representative of the City of Santa Clarita, which is a violation of ethics. He does not represent me, or many others here.
I have seen the YouTube videos, from different angles and different times of the rally, and from Bob Kellar's few minutes addressing the crowd.
The behavior of the protesters was aggressive and abusive. Shouting profanities to people walking or driving past who did not have white skin, not knowing if they were legal or not, Hispanic or not, shouting at them to "Go home," and "Get on the 5 and keep going south," and violent rhetoric about buying guns and ammo. They went up to cars stopped at the red light, stuck cameras in the windows and took pictures of people who disagreed with them.
Contrary to participants' post-rally claims, they obviously were not there to protest government policies they don't agree with. They were the angry villagers, with signs instead of torches and pitchforks.
For Kellar to align himself with such racist hate groups, and then act defiantly when his actions are questioned, destroys any credibility he may have once had.
And they are categorized as hate groups, specifically, the Minutemen and Save Our State, regardless of claims to the contrary.
This is not leadership that Kellar demonstrated. He could have taken the high road and called for specific government action. Instead he chose to fear-monger with anti-immigrant talking points, and malign people, not policies.
JimmyStewart:
February 06, 2010 - 12:24 PM
There's no black eye! People need to start standing by their convictions before we lose our country. I'm not talking just about illegal immigration. I'm talking about our economy etc..because if we don't it will be much worse than "a black eye."
JohnnyCash:
February 06, 2010 - 01:14 PM
"Shouting profanities to people walking or driving past who did not have white skin, not knowing if they were legal or not, Hispanic or not, shouting at them to "Go home," and "Get on the 5 and keep going south..."
So let me get this straight. The rally included anti-illegal immigration protestors that included - but were not limited to - whites, African Americans and Latinos.
Julia states that these protestors were shouting at non-whites, but not necessarily Latinos.
So, basically, a group of multiracial protestors were shouting at multiracial passersby.
This sounds to me like a fantastic time to pull the race card.
ryantheray:
February 06, 2010 - 06:15 PM
Mr Galvez does that era long gone you refer to include our founding fathers and our Constitution? No it is you that disrespects our history and exactly who built this country, legal immigrants and proud Americans. And those jobs you imply are done by illegals only is BS. My roommate who is an American, born and raised, cleans houses, the woman who helps me with my yard is an American, born and raised. And those factory jobs along with the farm labor are being denied to American who apply. I know that for a fact, because I know the Americans who have applied, and over and over again they are denied. Yet when you later take a look at who they hired for that same job, you find it was given to someone who can't speak a lick of English, which includes India, China, Mexico and every third world population. Enough is enough. Bob Kellar said what most Americans think and feel. NO it is you Mr Galvez who is out of touch.