View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
Yes, that is it. I had so much to do that I forgot to post. Thanks.
LA and all so called city government are the same as so many other elected officials. Everytime I think about the brainless ones blowing leaves on to the neighbors yard I know training is hopeless. My BIG questions are, Why are we hiring them. Save all that money on athletic equipment by doing a little work your self, I do all of mine.
Some are quite competent.

However, I believe there is a cultural dysfunction concerning what is "good enough".

I believe that In Mexico, the boss does all the thinking, workers are generally hired from the neck down. So, if the boss directs someone to do some clean up and hands them the keys to his truck, they will pick up exactly what they understand him to have said, throw in the concrete chunks and left over pieces of sod and proceed to the nearest place with vehicle access to off load it all. He didn't tell them to take it to the dump, nor did he give them money to pay for the dump fees.

I believe that in the culture, there is much more practice of "who you know" rather than "what you know", leading to many incompetent relatives and cronies placed in positions of responsibility - centuries of this have dumbed down a whole nationality of people who are not any less intelligent than anyone else. And, you don't question the boss.

A couple of years ago a contractor who hires illegals told me that there is not a Mexican on earth who will tell you he doesn't know how to do something. So, he gets around the problem by saying "this is how I want you to do it", and demonstrating. I've talked to a few more contractors and tract supervisors, it's generally the same story.

So, whoever hired those people I observed blowing leaves and trash back and forth in Canoga Park probably hired people off the corner who claimed to be professional landscapers, and he probably gave them some addresses and told them to mow the lawns and get the leaves out of the yards. He probably didn't tell them how to accomplish the desired result. Nor did he watch them to make sure they actually did it.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 03-10-2010 at 04:56 PM.