View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 06:36 AM

I want to add a little to the "countrymen" belief.

Among white Americans, we are free to pretend that we are "German", "Irish", "Italian", and so on because some of ancestors were from a certain country in Europe.

However, even if we speak the language, we will be known in those countries as Americans. And in many of those places, the locals might further identify themselves with a city or province before nationality. We cannot wave the magic wand and remake ourselves into something we're not.

I was once aquainted with a gentleman with Irish parents who grew up in London. He might be able to pass himself off in America as Irish, but the Irish and the English know the difference, and due to the history, It is a pointed difference. I believe he would tend to be despised in Ireland, and he told me he felt like he didn't belong to either country.

That's the way it is with many of those born here with near Latin American ancestry. Navarro might have had Mexican parents, dual citizenship, and speak American accented Spanish but he is not MEXICAN according to the south of the border definition, and he never will be. No matter how Mexican he may proclaim himself to be, no matter how many suck-em-off deal making meetings he has with Mexican government officials, no matter how many Mexican flag waving, drum beating , chanting, "Aztec" dancing brown people are surrounding him. It can never be.

People like Navarro, illegal aliens from Mexico, and the Mexican government game each other, whether it is conscious or not. They allow Pochos like Navarro the pretension of being Mexican by getting freebies and assistance - otherwise they would be more inclined to publicly laugh at pretentious pochos and occasionally spit on them. Many Mexicans are like that. I believe that quite often to get past the surface tension as an American with most Mexicans you have to be doing something for them or otherwise extending yourself to them.

And brown people with Spanish last names are supposed to be "Mexican", otherwise it is as though they have turned their backs to Mexico. But one cannot be what one is not.

So, the pretension of being Mexican and the greatly inflated notion of victimization are the only cards that Brown American race hustlers have, otherwise they might just as well be "Italian" as "Mexican".

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 08-20-2010 at 06:40 AM.