Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Web site went down, was SOS hacked? (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=9175)

Greg in LA 03-05-2015 08:31 PM

Web site went down, was SOS hacked?

The web site went down for a couple of days?
Seems kind of suspicious?
I wonder if you were hacked?

wetibbe 03-05-2015 09:54 PM

Other explanation

Greg:

Apparently you missed some recent posts about the interruption of service or failure to open the website. But just to check - were you getting an error message as to why it wouldn't connect?

I have been having a problem, from day to day, opening. So I asked the owner and was given an explanation.

Sad to say that the problem identified doesn't make logical sense, at least to me. IF the site couldn't be opened due to inability to pay for upgrade software the site should NEVER be available. But it is from hour to hour and day to day. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Ayatollahgondola 03-06-2015 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetibbe (Post 25422)
Greg:

Sad to say that the problem identified doesn't make logical sense, at least to me. IF the site couldn't be opened due to inability to pay for upgrade software the site should NEVER be available. But it is from hour to hour and day to day. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Well let me see if I can make it clearer. The old VBulletin software we have is several upgrades back. Ours has several vulnerable weak spots that allow hackers to exploit it. Which is what happens. they don't gain total access, but they are able to disrupt it. In addition, the internet upgrades things that now work better with newer programs that we don't have in our old software. So it fails periodically.

Jeanfromfillmore 03-06-2015 09:07 AM

Yes even a nonprofit must receive a profit to exist. I don't think a bake sale would motivate much income.

Greg in LA 03-08-2015 10:30 PM

Thanks for the news,
I'm glad SOS is back and open for business.

Still not sure if the web site was "hacked" or just down for up-grading?

Just glad it's back.

Best regards, to everyone!

Ayatollahgondola 03-09-2015 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg in LA (Post 25425)
Thanks for the news,
I'm glad SOS is back and open for business.

Still not sure if the web site was "hacked" or just down for up-grading?

Just glad it's back.

Best regards, to everyone!

Upgrading is not going to happen unless we find a benefactor. The site will likely continue periodic failures like you pointed out. Hackers exploit weaknesses in our older software. there's only so much I can do by myself to stop it

Greg in LA 03-09-2015 12:28 PM

I understand, I appreciate that you are already doing everything that you can.

Best regards,
Greg