Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   California Schools (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   40 yrs of Chicano Studies (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=63)

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:25 PM

40 yrs of Chicano Studies

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Enlistee

Default 40 yrs of Chicano Studies
40 years of cultivated "outrage". 40 years of denouncing the white cucui and playing victim. 40 years of Chicano insertion into the political arena and subversion of the educational system and the result?

Quote:
He said that the dropout rate at his alma mater, Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, is about the same as 40 years ago.
The article:

Hispanic activist speaks to students

Quote:
Things have changed since Bobby Verdugo walked out of school to protest discrimination.

"The mayor of LA is Latino, and we have a Hispanic Supreme Court justice," he said. . "These are things we couldn't fathom 40 years ago."

But in a talk to Moreno Valley High School students Tuesday, the 59-year-old Verdugo said some things stay the same.

He said that the dropout rate at his alma mater, Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, is about the same as 40 years ago.

Speaking as part of Hispanic Heritage Month, the Hispanic rights activist recounted how he was one of thousands of students who in 1968 staged walkouts at several East Los Angeles high schools to demand equality in education opportunities.

"There was so much anger and disappointment among Chicano students," Verdugo said. "We wanted things to change."

He said that Hispanic students were often ridiculed and beaten by their teachers for expressing their heritage through ways such as speaking Spanish in class.

Verdugo dropped out of high school in 12th grade. He went back to school and got a degree in social work from Cal State Los Angeles in 1994. In 1995, he started Con Los Padres, one of the country's first teenage fatherhood programs for Hispanics.

Stephanie Martinez, 17, a student who helped organize the event, said she hopes Verdugo's talk can help students from different backgrounds understand what challenges Hispanic students had to overcome to have the rights they have today.

"I hope people realize that Asians and blacks weren't the only ones treated badly," she said.

About 65 percent of the students at Moreno Valley High School are of Hispanic descent, said teacher Pete Loza.
A nice quote here:
Quote:
We are NEVER going to catch up to the youth drop out or youth gang problem as long as we keep expanding the number of problem youths through immigration and illegal entry. We educate the latest batch and thousands more are let in to fill the void

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:27 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Enlistee

The pick apart

Quote:
He said that Hispanic students were often ridiculed and beaten by their teachers for expressing their heritage through ways such as speaking Spanish in class.
40 years ago, if you were a smart ass or trouble maker, you got your ass smacked. Didn't matter what color your skin was. I believe my white ass wore out several paddles then referred to as "The Board of Education".

I know a Korean War Vet who grew up in East Los Angeles, He told me that even though his father was from Michoacan, he couldn't communicate with Mexicans. A lot of American born Hispanic kids back then didn't speak Spanish. I think I'll look him up and ask him about the "beatings" in school for speaking Spanish.

In 1958 Octavio Paz said that the "Mexicans" of Los Angeles didn't want to be either Mexican or American, but reveled in not fitting in with society of either countries.

In 1946, there was a teacher in the Inland Empire who enjoyed beating her kindergarten students (She was "equal opportunity". Race didn't matter). One little girl thought she was going to get a beating for not getting into class fast enough after recess, so she ran home.

Her Mexican mother asked her why was she was home and where was her coat? The girl told the story. Mama rapidly exited the house, and returned shortly with the coat.

To this day, the woman doesn't know what transpired between the teacher and her mother, but that white teacher steered clear of that little Hispanic girl from that day on.

And that was in the days when white and brown were separated by the tracks.

Quote:
Stephanie Martinez, 17, a student who helped organize the event, said she hopes Verdugo's talk can help students from different backgrounds understand what challenges Hispanic students had to overcome to have the rights they have today.

"I hope people realize that Asians and blacks weren't the only ones treated badly," she said.
The victimized race card, again.

Another recitation of the 1882 Chinese exclusion act and and Chicano hijacking of the black civil rights movement without saying the words.

Quote:
About 65 percent of the students at Moreno Valley High School are of Hispanic descent, said teacher Pete Loza.
And what is the drop out rate in that high school?

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:28 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Enlistee

Default Moreno Valley High
Moreno Valley High

Quote:
Moreno Valley High School is located in Moreno Valley, CA and is one of 9 high schools in Moreno Valley Unified School District. It is a public school that serves 2251 students in grades 9-12.

Moreno Valley High School did not make AYP in 2009. Under No Child Left Behind, a school makes Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if it achieves the minimum levels of improvement determined by the state of California in terms of student performance and other accountability measures.*See Moreno Valley High School's test results to learn more about school performance.

A school's Academic Performance Index (API) is a scale that ranges from 200 to 1000 and is calculated from the school's performance in the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program. The state has set 800 as the API target for all schools to meet.

Moreno Valley High School had an API growth score of 644 in 2009. California uses the Academic Performance Index (API) to measure annual school performance and year-to-year improvement. Moreno Valley High School's 2009 base score was 606 and the school did meet its 2008 school-wide growth target.

In 2008, Moreno Valley High School had 21 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The California average is 21 students per full-time equivalent teacher.

http://www.education.com/schoolfinde...o-valley-high/

Moreno Valley High School*2009 Test Scores

Dismal.

http://www.education.com/schoolfinde.../test-results/

*About Moreno Valley High School Students
Student Economic Level
Average Students Participating in Free or Reduced-Price Lunch
This School 75 %
State 51%

Student Ethnicity
This School State Average Hispanic 68 % 49 %
Black 18 % 7 %
White 9 % 29 %
Asian 2 % 8 %
Filipino 1 % 3 %
Pacific Islander < 1 % < 1 %
American Indian/Alaskan Native < 1 % < 1 %
Multiple or No Response < 1 % 3 %

Student Subgroups
English Language Learners

This School 29 % State Average 25 %

Student Completion

Annual Dropout Rate for Grades 9-12

This School 7 % State Average 6 %

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:29 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Enlistee

Another blurb concerning East LA Schools:

40 Years After Walkouts, Little Has Changed, Latinos Say

Quote:
The dropout rate in East Los Angeles is still very high. In fact, “The dropout rate is higher today than 40 years ago,” says Patron
http://news.newamericamedia.org/news...c22fc76bbcfbe4

I'm having trouble finding info for Lincoln High, but here's this:

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School in Los Angeles, California (CA)

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2006 test average as compared to other schools in California) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 18.

http://www.city-data.com/school/abra...r-high-ca.html
Once again:
Quote:
We are NEVER going to catch up to the youth drop out or youth gang problem as long as we keep expanding the number of problem youths through immigration and illegal entry. We educate the latest batch and thousands more are let in to fill the void

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:30 PM

Soldier

Amazing how much money it costs the US taxpayers to educate kids on how to more identify with your ethnicity, and then it costs again to teach everyone else not to.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:30 PM

Enlistee

We stood up, and it mattered.

By Luis Torres

Quote:
The Chicano walk out of 1968 was about dignity and fundamental change that we're still striving for...

We also wanted to protest the conditions that led to a drop out rate hovering around 45%. Barely half of us were making it out of high school. Something was desperately wrong and we wanted to do something about it...

I gained a pride in my heritage that made me more comfortable with who I was -- a young man whose parents were from Mexico. I overcame the shame that I used to feel as a kid when my mother "spoke funny" in public. ..

In those times, I remember reading that "the best way to get the Man off your back is to stand up." We stood up on that day...

Forty years ago, the Los Angeles school board was the Man. Today it is an ally with the community in the effort to improve education...

The drop out rate at my alma mater, Lincoln High School, and the other Eastside high schools is still about 45%...

PDF:

http://classjump.com/mrcilker/docume...20mattered.pdf

HTML:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,5135201.story

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:31 PM

Soldier

Quote:
. I overcame the shame that I used to feel as a kid when my mother "spoke funny" in public. ..
I'll bet she still does too.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:31 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Enlistee

About Abraham Lincoln Senior High School

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School is located in Los Angeles, CA and is one of 199 high schools in Los Angeles Unified School District. It is a magnet school that serves 2780 students in grades 9-12.

Magnet schools are public schools that offer a specialized curriculum or educational philosophy, often with a specific focus or theme. Magnet schools promote student diversity because they are open to students outside the normal school district boundaries and often attract high caliber students through competitive programs.

Abraham Lincoln Senior High School did not make AYP in 2009. Under No Child Left Behind, a school makes Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if it achieves the minimum levels of improvement determined by the state of California in terms of student performance and other accountability measures.*

A school's Academic Performance Index (API) is a scale that ranges from 200 to 1000 and is calculated from the school's performance in the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program. The state has set 800 as the API target for all schools to meet.

Abraham Lincoln Senior High School had an API growth score of 587 in 2009. California uses the Academic Performance Index (API) to measure annual school performance and year-to-year improvement. Abraham Lincoln Senior High School's 2009 base score was 609 and the school did not meet its 2008 school-wide growth target.

In 2008, Abraham Lincoln Senior High School had 23 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The California average is 21 students per full-time equivalent teacher.
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School Student Diversity
Students by Ethnicity*(2008)
Hispanic 81 %
Asian 17 %
Black < 1 %
White < 1 %
Filipino < 1 %
Multiple or No Response < 1 %
Pacific Islander < 1 %
American Indian/Alaskan Native < 1 %

Student Economic Level
Students Participating in Free or Reduced-Price Lunch

This School 76 % State Average 51 %

Student Subgroups

English Language Learners

This School 37 % State Average 25 %

Student Completion

Annual Dropout Rate for Grades 9-12

This School 7 % State Average 6 %

http://www.education.com/schoolfinde...n-senior-high/

Someone has to be lying about the drop out rates:

Two Chicano activist alumni claim it has been unchanged at this school at almost 50% for forty years, yet this statement claims 7%

Both Moreno Valley and Lincoln have five star ratings according to this source, and solicited commentary posted about both schools is glowing. Something stinks.

Also:

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School in Los Angeles, California (CA)

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2006 test average as compared to other schools in California) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 18.

http://www.city-data.com/school/abra...r-high-ca.html

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:32 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Enlistee

Lincoln high school profile page http://search.lausd.k12.ca.us/cgi-bi...ent&which=8729

A bunch of numbers:

661 Spanish speaking English Learners out of a total of 769 English learners, out of a total of 2777 students.

81.1% Hispanic

Drop out rate 8% with a derived 4 year dropout rate of 33.4%

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:33 PM

Enlistee

Lincoln high Drop out rate 11%
http://www.schools-data.com/schools/...s-Angeles.html

Article states California has a 24% dropout rate, focus of article is in Bay area
http://thesfkfiles.blogspot.com/2008...pout-rate.html

An LA times piece which has a couple of student views by Johnson Xue (his own writing) concerning Lincoln High School:

Excerpts:

Quote:
clubs in the school are more for like the asian students not the latino.... that is a problem...... more clubs not just an asian club...

The small problems are: too many students are into period 6 p.e in a sport where all they do is just come to school to be in p.e .... a great example of this are the football players... 90% of all the members in the football team all they live for is football, they dont care about period 1-5, only period 6 p.e ... same goes for other students in a sport. 2nd small problem is: in nearly all the regular classes every1 DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.... only if they're in an honor class than individuals care a lil but in ap classes they care more... so basically students a large majority of them are in regular classes where its not hard not intense so NO NEED TO STUDY, because the teachers dont force them to study only if they're in honor class (still rarely) and ap classes (study a lot).

SO THE BIGGEST OUT OF ALL THESE SMALL PROBLEMS ARE: GANGS, LARGE CLASSES, AND MORE ACTIVITIES WEAR ALL STUDENTS FEEL WELCOME, AND CHANGING HS REQUIREMENTS, AND PUT AN END TO STUDENTS WHO DAYDREAM NOTHING BUT PERIOD 6 P.E WHERE THEY ARE IN A SPORT/TEAM, AND HAVE MORE AP CLASSES AND ADULT SCHOOL CLASSES THAT ARE 1X OR 2X A WEEK.
http://projects.latimes.com/schools/...n-senior-high/

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:33 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Enlistee

An excerpt from an essay or letter by Professor Ramon Munoz (A man obsessed with informing the reader that there is a tilde over the “n” in his last name).

Full of the usual rambling Latino Activist rants and containing much electronic jibberish that makes the read difficult:

Quote:
...According to the recent Census report, 30 percent of Latino youth drop out of high
school -- compared to 8 percent of white students and 12 percent of
blacks.

In some inner-city school districts, the drop out rates for
Latinos are even higher.

And the majority of Latino students who are
fortunate to graduate from high school are not eligible for college
admission because they have been academically ill equipped...

Ramon Munoz
Academic Counselor
School of Social Sciences
University of California, Irvine
Well, Mr Munoz (with the tilde over the "n"), The white devil doesn't run the educational system anymore.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:34 PM

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
ilbegone
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ilbegone
Find all posts by ilbegone
Add ilbegone to Your Buddy List
#12 Report Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Enlistee

A “Si se puede” page which has three articles.

The first concerning Sal Castro, an educator involved in the 1968 walk outs, and the second, entitled:

Second Report on Education Condition in SW States Forthcoming

An excerpt:

Quote:
It comes as no surprise to schol-
ars, graduate students and most
informed practitioners that the over-
all educational status of Latinos has
not changed significantly. Progress
or gains have been off set by wors-
ening economic conditions of states
and the nation. In short, high school
drop out rates remain high (30 to
40 percent) and are typically under-
estimated or reported numbers are
suspect. The achievement gaps con-
tinue to persist between Latinos and
(Continued on page four)

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:34 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Enlistee

One last one, then I'm done for now.

Is this formula for determining drop out rate just another shell game for presenting numbers to be crunched?

(these numbers are for 1986)

Excerpts:

Quote:
Using New Definition of Dropout

The state Department of Education previously had labeled a dropout as a student who leaves school and does not ask for a transcript to be sent to another public or private school within 45 days.

Under the new definition, administrators found that, for the 1986-87 school year, 6.9% of students in San Diego dropped out in grades 9 through 12. They then extrapolated the rate over four years and came up with the 26%.

Using the same definition for ethnic groups, the four-year district dropout rate for Latinos is estimated at 39.2%; for Indochinese, 29.5%; for blacks, 27.9%; for whites, 22.6%; for Asians, 21.6%, and for Filipinos, 12.4%. The Indochinese category includes Vietnamese, Khmer (Cambodian), Lao and Hmong ethnic students.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-04-...chool-students

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:35 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Enlistee

Thanks for posting this Ibegone, what they cry and cry again really amazes me. I went to grade school in San Pedro in the same years (early 60's). No one beat anyone because of their ethnicity. The ethnic make up of our school was about 30% White, 20% Black, 25% Hispanic, and the remaining 25% were a mix of Philippine, Chinese, Japanese and others. The only one I know of who became a Doctor was a Black student, he didn't seem to feel held back. Everyone spoke English, and not Spanglish, there wasn't any problem with speaking English properly. Everyone considered themselves an American and was proud to be one. There was some racism, but it was among the Blacks and Hispanics. Many kept to their own group and didn't associate with the others. But that wasn't true of everyone. My first best friend was a Black girl named Joyce. She went to the Catholic school in town, so we only hung out while out of school. Maybe San Pedro was different than other parts of LA, especially East LA where the racial mix wasn't so much of different ethnicity's.

They keep trying to force 'diversity' on us, yet places like East LA are anything but diverse. They've made it into a toilet and no one besides themselves wants to be around it. Then they complain that they're not being respected while at the same time dropping out of school and having babies before their bodies have even fully matured. Those that have tried hard to get out of the barrio and succeeded need to speak up and stop the continued 'pride' crap of a culture that is bringing them down. What so many have done to themselves won't stop because they won't face the fact that their culture condones the destruction of itself. Many come from a failed country and want to continue that same path here. So many don't respect an education or investing in it, only if it's free. And then they want to study about their own failed culture, but change the facts to please themselves. They blame this country for making them victims, yet don't do anything to change the culture that put them where they are. It's so much easier to cry victim.
What's unfortunate is that the Americans who are Hispanic have such a hard time when they try to disassociate with that failed barrio culture. The liberal left has made being a victim, a noble cause.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:36 PM

Old 10-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Enlistee

LAUSD BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Marguerite Poindexter LaMotte

Of all the biographies, Lamotte's is the least self serving, least self promotional. A black woman, she has impressive early achievement and graduated with a Masters degree in Education at LSU in 1965. LaMotte has been involved in the LAUSD from one end of the spectrum to the other since 1973.

Monica Garcia

“MS” Monica Garcia is the “unanimously elected by her peers as president of the Board of Education”

Her biography is actually a resume which could suck chrome off a bumper.

While she has worked in the school system, it doesn't appear she's ever been a teacher.

“Ms. García was born and raised in East Los Angeles. She attended local schools and graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with Bachelor of Arts degrees in Chicano Studies and Political Science. She later earned her Masters in Social Work from the University of Southern California.”

How would Ms Garcia respond to a white male holding a door open for her?

Tamar Galatzan

“Tamar is a tireless advocate on behalf of civil rights, excellent public schools, social justice, and safe neighborhoods.”

Buzzwords which leads one to believe she would create a race issue if one wasn't handy to focus on.

A graduate of Birmingham High School in the San Fernando Valley, UCLA, and Hastings College of the Law in 1994,

“From April 1996 through June 2002, Tamar served as Western States Associate Counsel for the Anti-Defamation League.”

Quote:
[From the ADL website:
“The Anti-Defamation League was founded in 1913 "to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment
to all." Now the nation's premier civil rights/human relations agency, ADL fights anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals and protects civil rights for all.”]
Reading Galatzan's Biography/Resume, it seems she is a self appointed one woman EEOC enforcer, civil rights activist, and criminal prosecutor. Probably someone to be “politically correct” with or else.

“...her conviction that the education system is failing many of our children. As evidence, she points to a high drop-out rate; mediocre test scores;”

Steve Zimmer

According to his Biography/Resume, Steve is a very busy white man, but this sums him up:

“He is a long time supporter of immigrant rights and progressive labor in Los Angeles. Steve was the founder and leader of a teacher’s group that led opposition to Proposition 187...”

Steve doesn't seem to have very many schools in his district 4. Untrusted Gabacho?

Yolie Flores Aguilar

Augilar's Biography/Resume is more down to earth than the other “Latinas”.

“A nationally-renowned and tireless advocate for children”

“Aguilar served as CEO of the Los Angeles County Children’s Planning Council”

“Aguilar received her B.A. from the University of Redlands and her master’s in social welfare from the University of California, Los Angeles.”

And more.

Lincoln High School is in Aguilar's district 5.

Nury Martinez

From her Biography/Resume, she seems like she could be very pushy.

“Nury is an exemplary role model for young Californians – especially for young
Latinas seeking to make a difference in their communities. She is a tireless young
warrior for public education, working families, environmental justice and human
rights.”

All the "activist" buzzwords which indicates she arrives with stir paddle in hand, with a racist to be found under every rock.

“she is a product of the public schools, from Pacoima Elementary to San Fernando High. She was the first in her family to graduate from college.”

“The child of immigrant parents...” Three guesses as to where she stands on illegal immigration?

“Before being elected to the LAUSD Board, Nury served as the Mayor of the City of San Fernando.”

I've worked in San Fernando. The place struck me as trashed and way overstocked with illegals and gangbangers. Historically the place of two very different Latino American worlds from mostly English speaking in Richie Valens' 1950's to the Y2K Bastion of illegal migration and Rey Berrios “Cholo Style” gang bangers.

“Nury Martinez [actually] lives in the City of San Fernando”.

Dr. Richard Vladovic

“Dr. Richard Vladovic has been involved in the education of children since the late1960s.”

Vladovic has been a teacher and has worked his way up from the trenches.

"Dr. Vladovic also proudly served in the Army and retired from the United States Army Reserves at the rank of Infantry Major. During his time in the military, he also served as a Commander, Brigade Race Relations Officer, and Staff Officer". [Vladovic has to be a couple of centuries old]

Vladovic seems to be involved mainly with educational programs.

Vladovic's Biography/Resume doesn't strike me so pushy like most of the others.

http://laschoolboard.org/

Forty years of Chicano studies

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:36 PM

Enlistee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
LAUSD BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Marguerite Poindexter LaMotte

Of all the biographies, Lamotte's is the least self serving, least self promotional. A black woman, she has impressive early achievement and graduated with a Masters degree in Education at LSU in 1965. LaMotte has been involved in the LAUSD from one end of the spectrum to the other since 1973.

Monica Garcia

“MS” Monica Garcia is the “unanimously elected by her peers as president of the Board of Education”

Her biography is actually a resume which could suck chrome off a bumper.

While she has worked in the school system, it doesn't appear she's ever been a teacher.

“Ms. García was born and raised in East Los Angeles. She attended local schools and graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with Bachelor of Arts degrees in Chicano Studies and Political Science. She later earned her Masters in Social Work from the University of Southern California.”

How would Ms Garcia respond to a white male holding a door open for her?

Tamar Galatzan

“Tamar is a tireless advocate on behalf of civil rights, excellent public schools, social justice, and safe neighborhoods.”

Buzzwords which leads one to believe she would create a race issue if one wasn't handy to focus on.

A graduate of Birmingham High School in the San Fernando Valley, UCLA, and Hastings College of the Law in 1994,

“From April 1996 through June 2002, Tamar served as Western States Associate Counsel for the Anti-Defamation League.”

Reading Galatzan's Biography/Resume, it seems she is a self appointed one woman EEOC enforcer, civil rights activist, and criminal prosecutor. Probably someone to be “politically correct” with or else.

“...her conviction that the education system is failing many of our children. As evidence, she points to a high drop-out rate; mediocre test scores;”

Steve Zimmer

According to his Biography/Resume, Steve is a very busy white man, but this sums him up:

“He is a long time supporter of immigrant rights and progressive labor in Los Angeles. Steve was the founder and leader of a teacher’s group that led opposition to Proposition 187...”

Steve doesn't seem to have very many schools in his district 4. Untrusted Gabacho?

Yolie Flores Aguilar

Augilar's Biography/Resume is more down to earth than the other “Latinas”.

“A nationally-renowned and tireless advocate for children”

“Aguilar served as CEO of the Los Angeles County Children’s Planning Council”

“Aguilar received her B.A. from the University of Redlands and her master’s in social welfare from the University of California, Los Angeles.”

And more.

Lincoln High School is in Aguilar's district 5.

Nury Martinez

From her Biography/Resume, she seems like she could be very pushy.

“Nury is an exemplary role model for young Californians – especially for young
Latinas seeking to make a difference in their communities. She is a tireless young
warrior for public education, working families, environmental justice and human
rights.”

All the "activist" buzzwords which indicates she arrives with stir paddle in hand, with a racist to be found under every rock.

“she is a product of the public schools, from Pacoima Elementary to San Fernando High. She was the first in her family to graduate from college.”

“The child of immigrant parents...” Three guesses as to where she stands on illegal immigration?

“Before being elected to the LAUSD Board, Nury served as the Mayor of the City of San Fernando.”

I've worked in San Fernando. The place struck me as trashed and way overstocked with illegals and gangbangers. Historically the place of two very different Latino American worlds from mostly English speaking in Richie Valens' 1950's to the Y2K Bastion of illegal migration and Rey Berrios “Cholo Style” gang bangers.

“Nury Martinez [actually] lives in the City of San Fernando”.

Dr. Richard Vladovic

“Dr. Richard Vladovic has been involved in the education of children since the late1960s.”

Vladovic has been a teacher and has worked his way up from the trenches.

"Dr. Vladovic also proudly served in the Army and retired from the United States Army Reserves at the rank of Infantry Major. During his time in the military, he also served as a Commander, Brigade Race Relations Officer, and Staff Officer". [Vladovic has to be a couple of centuries old]

Vladovic seems to be involved mainly with educational programs.

Vladovic's Biography/Resume doesn't strike me so pushy like most of the others.

http://laschoolboard.org/

Well the results, as far as their input into LAUSD, speaks for itself. With all their finger pointing and never the thought of looking at themselves as the problem, this failed system will continue, and at the taxpayer's expense. They keep pushing the 'victim' mentality social injustice theme, all the while excusing the lack of true school with a focus on marketable and usable skills. It matters much less if a student can read, do math or comprehend common sense situations. Just as long as they have 'pride' and can argue that it's the system and the country's fault. Being a victim is such a noble cause, who needs those pesky skills like reading and writing.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:37 PM

Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Enlistee

For curiosity, I thought I would check out the Crystal City Independent School District where the now long defunct race oriented political party La Raza Unida took over the School District and County government in Texas during the early 70's and essentially fired all the white employees. Many changes were made, including mandated bilingual education

The Crystal City ISD's Board of Trustees is composed of all Hispanic names.

RAYMUNDO VILLARREAL SUPERINTENDENT
MARICELA GUZMAN BOARD PRESIDENT
ANITA CUEVAS-LOMAS BOARD VICE-PRESIDENT
FRAILAN SENDEJO BOARD SECRETARY
BOBBY CASTILLO BOARD MEMBER
NERISELA FLORES-BALBOA BOARD MEMBER
ALFREDO GALLEGOS BOARD MEMBER
VICTOR LOPEZ BOARD MEMBER

Student population is 99%Hispanic, 87% economically disadvantaged.

11% are English language learners, 93.3% are Limited English Proficient. Also listed is a contradictory average English Language Arts score at 90% with the Texas average being 92%.

This puzzled me at first, but I suppose there is a difference between being a learner and being fluent, and how is English Language arts actually tested? Something is unexplained here.

[A friend employed by my local school district (Ca.) told me that the money for the district is in claiming English Learner dollars. Even if a kid is fluent in English, if the parents state that Spanish is the home language, the kid is used by the district for sucking in ELL money]

9% of students have an IEP (Individualized Education Program).

8% are migrants, moving from school to school.

Some sources exclude migrant data.

Test scores are below the Texas average.

The drop out rate At Crystal City High School has varying figures, depending on the source

>Crystal City ISD drop out rate of 4%

>2006-2007 drop out rate All Students 8.8%

>Dropout rate: 9.2%

>Dropout rate for Hispanic students: 9.3%

>High School graduation rate: 80.7%

>HS graduation rate for Hispanic students: 81.3%

The 4% rate is unlikely, and there is about a 10 % discrepancy between the other listed drop out rates and the listed graduation rates. And how are those rates actually calculated?

As in earlier examples, would this make a four year derived drop out rate of 30% to 40%? [Lincoln High School drop out rate 8% with a derived 4 year dropout rate of 33.4%]

Have the numbers been misrepresented?

Teacher turn over rate has been high in the past, reaching 17 percent one year. Latest figures I saw were for 2001. Perhaps ancient history by now.

The “Great Schools” website rating for Crystal City High School is a 3 out of ten, ten being best.

National dropout rates for Hispanics 1972 - 2007

32% 1972 36%1988 22% 2007

National dropout rates for blacks 1972 - 2007

22%1972 24% 1975 9% 2007

National dropout rates for White, non-Hispanic 1972 – 2007

13% 1972 6% 2007

I was surprised to find that the average graduation rate in Texas is higher than California.

2007 Texas 72.5% California 69.2

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009064.pdf.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/...8839#from..Tab

http://www.education.com/schoolfinde...district/high/

http://www.schools-data.com/schools/...STAL-CITY.html

http://www.crystalcityisd.org/pages/...ort%20Card.pdf

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:38 PM

Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Enlistee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl View Post
Well the results, as far as their input into LAUSD, speaks for itself. With all their finger pointing and never the thought of looking at themselves as the problem, this failed system will continue, and at the taxpayer's expense. They keep pushing the 'victim' mentality social injustice theme, all the while excusing the lack of true school with a focus on marketable and usable skills. It matter much less if a student can read, do math or comprehend common sense situations. Just as long as they have 'pride' and can argue that it's the system and the country's fault. Being a victim is such a noble cause, who needs those pesky skills like reading and writing.
A few years ago when the May Day skip school BS was going on, a reporter asked a high school girl from Rialto or Ontario why she ditched school.

The only reason the girl could come up with was "I'm doing it for my pride!", with little other notion of what it was all about - amnesty for illegal aliens.

It's just "socially permissible" racism. Let a white person even think of doing what they get away with concerning racism and watch how fast the race card gets thrown on them.

You can't really blame the gabacho anymore for Latino illiteracy. It's pretty hard to yell "the white man is holding me back!" when the people running the show have Spanish last names, south of the border family origins, and an education filled with Chicano studies.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:38 PM

Soldier

You know ilbegone, you may have a good theme for a public effort here. Maybe we should strategize on this a little, and bring this to our seerless leaders at the schools administration. I see a billboard event in the future....(insert cartoonlike Nostradamus icon here)

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:39 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Enlistee

Default Larry Aceves Educator
This appeared in a local newspaper yesterday as a letter to the editor.

The author is a candidate for state superintendent of public instruction in 2010.

Quote:
Gaps have grown
Larry Aceves
Posted: 10/02/2009 08:16:48 PM PDT

RE: "SAT scores dip for high school class of 2009," Aug. 25.

The news that this year's SAT scores dropped an average of two points from last year should come as no surprise considering our schools have suffered severe budget cuts in recent years on top of decades of inadequate funding.

The news for Latino, African-American and low-income students is even more disconcerting, as the long-standing achievement gaps affecting these groups have widened.

The governor and legislators bemoan these disparities, yet they agreed to additional budget cuts for the coming year that will exacerbate these divides. While Sacramento has raised expectations for our schools and students to the highest in the country, they've driven school funding to the lowest per-pupil level in the country.

I am not a politician but a former teacher, principal and superintendent with 30 years' experience, and I know that our students have paid the price for the state's budget disarray for too long.

As state superintendent, I will be our schools top advocate for the adequate and equitable resources needed for all of our students to be successful in college and the workplace.

LARRY ACEVES
San Francisco

The author is a candidate for state superintendent of public instruction in 2010.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:40 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Enlistee

A whole thread could be devoted to Mr. Aceves. Lots of material.

Mr Aceves presided over Franklin-McKinley Elementary School District in San Jose for 13 years, retiring in 2006 when his district was nose diving in educational performance. The district is predominately "Latino" which seems to be of either the very recently arrived or unassimilated community derived of sudden mass migration. I believe the district is near state receivership, it's educational performance is beyond dismal.

However, the man has expended a lot of shoe leather over a 30 year career meeting people and seems to have created a network of alliances.

Just a few of the organizations he has participated in; California City Superintendents Association, the California Association of Latino Superintendents, and the Association of California School Administrators. He has achieved leadership position in several educational associations.

Lots of Latino contacts. Lots of Latino Superintendents out there.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:40 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Enlistee

Besides the racial bias towards "Latinos" (regardless of national origin or legality of residence) in our school system, there are tons of other problems associated with the unassimilated or uncaring.

I'm not sure exactly what the apples versus oranges are in some of this discussion.

Mr Aceves and other like minded people want to throw more money at whatever the problem is, and in self interest concerning employment they have a further reason to deplore the recent cuts.

However, I believe that classroom education, for the most part, consumes over 60 cents out of every dollar in California. I believe in Texas, it's around 50% of the same dollar. And Texas has a higher graduation rate than California.

Both have a high ratio of Latinos in the schools, and I believe the schools which have those high ratios have a high drop out rate in both states.

Where are the apples and oranges here?

Quote:
According to Larry Aceves, a retired schools superintendent who is running for state Superintendent of Public Instruction, the information on graduation rates put out by the state is far from accurate.

"I don't want to paint everything with a broad brush," he said, but speaking generally, the way schools count how many students graduate from high school is "not an accurate process."

Aceves said he believes the official graduation rates suggest California schools are doing better than they really are.

"I think we're giving ourselves credit for more than is due," he said. "We don't have an accurate way of learning what happens to kids when they don't show up. We need to have a system that says if a child doesn't come back, every effort is made to find out what happened." 9-27-09
http://www.chicoer.com/lifestyle/schools/ci_13431762
Quote:
Aceves notes that the job of superintendent is an increasingly political, high-profile position that must answer to business leaders, parents, teachers, students and the community at large. Finding men and women with the personality and stamina to take on so many challenges is no easy task. http://www.cftl.org/pressroom_clipvi...c_12_11_06.php
Quote:
The future for leadership in public education looks bleak,” said Wes Smith, 37, superintendent of the Cascade Union Elementary School District in Anderson, near Redding. “A lot of experienced people are retiring, and a lot of people who are qualified don't want the job. But if we want to have great schools, they demand and deserve great leadership.”
And, in spite of the performance of Franklin-McKinley under Acevas' stewardship,

Quote:
In 2005 Larry was awarded the Association of California School Administrators Marcus Foster Memorial Award. In 2001 he was named Santa Clara County Superintendent of the Year as well as Catholic Charities’ Top Community Partner.
What happened? Aceves will say that it was a lack of funding.

Quote:
While the dropout rate for Santa Clara County is about 15 percent, for Latino students it is 26.6 percent, also higher than the state's.

Local teachers were at a loss to explain why Silicon Valley's Latino and African-American students are doing worse than their peers in other parts of the state.

Weis said educators must radically rethink classroom instruction and replicate the strategies that appear to be succeeding: working with students in small groups, making sure students never fall behind and bringing families into the conversation.

"We need to change the way we are teaching," Weis said. "The fact that we are least effective with our fastest-growing demographic does not bode well for the future. It's the No. 1 issue of this decade."

Alum Rock and Franklin-McKinley, along with 10 other districts in Santa Clara County, are now on the PI list. If they don't improve, they face a possible state takeover of their schools. 2009

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=106951955

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:41 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Enlistee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyatollahGondola View Post
You know ilbegone, you may have a good theme for a public effort here. Maybe we should strategize on this a little, and bring this to our seerless leaders at the schools administration. I see a billboard event in the future....(insert cartoonlike Nostradamus icon here)
PM me. Lengthening to at least ten characters.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:41 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Enlistee

A short bio on Aceves.

Aceves was educated when the Chicano movement was starting up and full full steam with public radicalism. I wonder if he was a Mecha member.

Quote:
Aceves is a first generation American. His parents were
working-class immigrants who raised Aceves and his four
siblings in Calexico, California. Aceves graduated from
San Diego public schools and served as a paratrooper
in the 82nd Airborne Division. He earned his bachelor’s
and master’s degrees in education from San Diego State
University.
He began his educational career in 1974 as a teacher
in San Diego and has served in school districts in San
Diego, San Jose and the Central Coast.
He’s been a teacher, principal and superintendent, and
when he retired in 2006, he had served as superinten-
dent of the Franklin-McKinley school district for 13 years

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:42 PM

ilbegone
View Public Profile
#25 Report Post
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Enlistee

Presented for interest. The Calsa membership application

Quote:

The California Association of Latino Superintendents and Administrators (CALSA) offers various levels of membership opportunities. CALSA brings together a network of educators and business representatives whose interest is in the advocacy of educational opportunities for Latino children.

As a CALSA member you will receive bimonthly association activity updates through the CALSA E-mail newsletter. Members receive a discounted conference rate for the Annual Summer Institute.

CALSA conferences highlight: best practices, opportunities to submit nominees for high school scholarships, unparalleled networking opportunities and eligibility to participate in the CALSA Administrator Mentoring Program.

The membership categories are as follows:

SUPERINTENDENT: Those that hold the title of Superintendent.

ASSOCIATE LEVEL: Includes educators other than the district superintendents of schools, inclusive of full-time students.

RETIREES: This membership is for full-time retirees not engaged in marketing or representing businesses and/or corporations.

BUSINESS/CORPORATION/ASSOCIATION: Association provides up to six individual memberships.

FACULTY AND ADMINISTRATORS FROM HIGHER EDUCATION: Includes faculty from universities and colleges.

Please complete the following membership form and submit it directly from our site, then mail your membership fee to:

CALSA
19635 Redding Dr.
Salinas, California 93908

Your membership will cover from July 1 through June 30 and will be activated once your completed application and membership fee has been turned in.

The dues for 2007-2008 are: $200/year for Superintendents, $100/year for Associates, $100/year for Retirees, $1000/year for Businesses, $500/year for Associations, and $500/year for Higher Education Group (CLEAR) members (up to six individuals).

Please direct any inquiries about membership to Dr. Fernando Elizondo at trinityotr@aol.com

Please Note: Bold Fields are required.

Title
First Name Middle Name Last Name
Job Title
Organization
Work Phone
Home Phone
Email
Please indicate the type of membership you are purchasing.
I believe I saw a job posting area on the website which was for members only. Would that be the pool from which administrative candidates are selected? Would that be racial discrimination? Can a white or black educator become a member of this organization and enjoy the networking benefits?

Is this a racist organization in that it selectively advocates educational opportunities for Latino children only as opposed to all children?

How loud would the outcry be if there was an organization devoted only to white children?

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:42 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Enlistee

Following are some "connect the dots" posts.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:43 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Enlistee

Connect the dots #1:

Quote:
Calsa sponsored a Jack O’Connell for State
Superintendent of Public
Instruction fundraiser on Feb 8. (2002)

Co-sponsoring the Event were ACSA
Region 10, California Teachers
Association, and the California
County Superintendent’s Assocation.

Approximately 80 folks attended and
were able to chat with Senator
O’Connell about both current
future educational issues he
would address as State
Superintendent Of Instruction.

Calsa has endorsed Senator
O’Connell for SPI.

The event
held in
Fernando and Susan Elizondo’s Salinas
home.
http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=c...6cGGBBRFwDvs4Q

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:43 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Enlistee

Connect the dots #2

Quote:
CALSA Past Presidents, Aceves and Delgado, Launch
Campaigns

CALSA past presidents Larry Aceves and
Arturo Delgado are on the campaign trail.
Larry Aceves retired Superintendent from
Franklin McKinley School District has
announced his candidacy for State
Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Larry served as CALSA president and was
instrumental in crafting the vision in the
early years of CALSA. He also has served
as ACSA President and has garnered numerous statewide awards
and recognitions. He retired in 2007 and is a partner in Leadership
Associates.

Larry is making history as the first Latino superintendent
to run for this prestigious office. In a field of three candidates Larry is
the only one with an education background. In a Statewide poll
commissioned by ACSA, Larry polling numbers as to favorability were
around the 60% mark over the other two candidates
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:44 PM

ilbegone
View Public Profile
#29 Report Post
Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Enlistee

Connect the dots #3

Quote:
California Department of Education News Release
Release: #03-42
August 6, 2003

O'Connell Names Local School Superintendent to California Quality Education Commission

SACRAMENTO — State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell has appointed Larry Aceves, superintendent of Franklin-McKinley School District to the newly formed California Quality Education Commission.

Last year, the state Legislature established the commission under AB 1026 (Strom-Martin) to provide state policymakers with the tools necessary to establish reasonable costs associated with schools and guidelines as to how best direct available resources to our schools. The California Department of Education is providing the primary support for the establishment of the commission and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction is responsible for two commission appointments.

"I'm extremely pleased that Larry has accepted this important appointment," stated O'Connell. "His extensive experience in education, both as a classroom teacher and administrator, makes him ideally suited to the task of developing a plan with the goal of helping to ensure that all our kids can meet California's high academic performance standards."

Aceves currently heads one of the most culturally diverse school districts in California. The district serves more than 10,000 students who speak 54 languages other than English. Prior to assuming his current position, Aceves served as superintendent of the Alum Rock School District and before that, he worked as deputy superintendent of the Pajaro Valley Unified School District in Santa Cruz. He also was a principal and bilingual education teacher in San Diego. Aceves received his bachelor's degree in Fine Arts and Humanities and his master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction from San Diego State University.

"Larry has been involved in public education as both teacher and administrator for 30 years. His wealth of experience and knowledge makes him a great asset to this new commission," O'Connell said.http://www.cde.ca.gov/nr/ne/yr03/yr03rel42.asp
"I'm extremely pleased that Larry has accepted this important appointment," stated O'Connell. "

Aceves was a primary functionary in the election of former State Senator to the post of Superintendent of public instruction in 2002, O'Connell Appoints Aceves to the newly formed California Quality Education Commission in 2003, and Aceves is now campaigning for 2010 Superintendent of public instruction.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:45 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Enlistee

Quote:
Larry Aceves can be superintendent not beholden to special interest groups, since he has not been a career politician.

http://www.sanjoseinside.com/sji/blo...c_instruction/
Bullshit.

Aceves has been of President both of these organizations.

Quote:
ACSA Board endorses Aceves bid for SPI in 2010
The ACSA Board of Directors recently unanimously voted to officially endorse Larry Aceves for superintendent of public instruction in 2010.
http://www.acsa.org/FunctionalMenuCa...eves-2010.aspx
Quote:
Larry Aceves Endorsed By California's Largest Organization Of Latino School Administrators

Endorsement demonstrates growing support for lifelong educator's 2010 Superintendent of Public Instruction campaign

The Larry Aceves campaign for Superintendent of Public Instruction today announced receiving the endorsement of the California Association of Latino Superintendents and Administrators (CALSA)
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/note.php?n..._fb_noscript=1
Some wildcards

Quote:
Meanwhile, Aceves appears to have secured his base among the people who actually run schools and called himself a “down in the dirt educator” that will run a nontraditional, grassroots campaign.

The candidate added that he also hopes to seek contributions from bigger donors, arguing that a successful SPI campaign will take at least two to four million dollars.

Long-time Democratic strategist Steve Maviglio said that in the end, big ticket contributors will be essential to determining the winner.

“Aceves hasn’t cornered the market,” he said. “The name of game in this race is going to be independent expenditures by EdVoice, CTA, and other players that typically run their own campaigns.”
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/note.php?n..._fb_noscript=1

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:45 PM

Soldier

Quote:
“Aceves hasn’t cornered the market,” he said. “The name of game in this race is going to be independent expenditures by EdVoice, CTA, and other players that typically run their own campaigns.”
Here; Let's readjust those words to show what it should have said:

Quote:
The name of game is race.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:46 PM

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Enlistee

He seems to have learned the 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' routine and is using it well.

What amazes me is that private schools cost so much less per student and give a better education. This crap of 'throw more money at the problem and it will be fixed' has been their excuse and solution and used for so long that they actually believe that it's true. But the public is getting tired of hearing it, when there's proof out there that it's not true.

The focus of education today is to coddle the student so that they have a feeling of accomplishment, even if they don't. They're considered good students if they just show up. That skills they learn seems to secondary to their feelings and they expect a good grade no mater what they turn in. Everyone 'owes".

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:46 PM

kjl
View Public Profile
Send a private message to kjl
Find all posts by kjl
Add kjl to Your Buddy List
#33 Report Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Enlistee

An opinion piece by Roman Zhuk concerning budget cuts in the University Of California, edited version. Link for full version at bottom.

Quote:
I'm a UC Berkeley student, and I went to class on Thursday rather than joining the campus walkout in protest of proposed tuition fee hikes.

I went because I'm sick and tired of a professional caste of malcontents among the students, faculty and workers that raises a hue and cry every time reality does not live up to their ill-founded sense of entitlement.

I like UC President Mark Yudof - he's an intelligent, articulate leader in difficult circumstances. That said, his commitment to "equity" - that is, budget cuts are to be distributed as equally as possible - is mistaken. It seems to rely on the idea that everything the university does is equally useful. Most reasonable people, however, will agree that this isn't quite true.

UC medical schools and hospitals are on the cutting edge of research - they save the lives of patients throughout the world with their innovations. We are supposed to redirect the bonuses their faculty receives for their fine work so the ethnic studies departments and the like don't lose any funding? No, thank you. I know the benefit of UC medical centers - I'm a bit less clear on the benefit to the general population arising from the ethnic studies department .

You are going to hear a lot of "demands" from the protesters. Pose this question to those making these demands: "There is a budget gap of hundreds of millions of dollars - where do you suggest the money to meet your demands comes from?"

The answer is that there is no easy answer. There is going to be pain and suffering. Students are going to have to figure out how to come up with more money for their tuition. Professors are going to have to make do with some reductions in their pay, as millions of other Americans are doing.

Nobody's happy about this. But higher education can't be isolated from the tribulations of the outside world. Skipping a day of school and pretending that something will magically change is a charade in which nobody should indulge.
http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_13427368
This opinion piece by Roman Zhuk does not constitute either endorsement or affiliation to any organization or cause.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:47 PM

ilbegone
View Public Profile
#34 Report Post
Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Enlistee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl View Post
He seems to have learned the 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' routine and is using it well.

What amazes me is that private schools cost so much less per student and give a better education. This crap of 'throw more money at the problem and it will be fixed' has been their excuse and solution and used for so long that they actually believe that it's true. But the public is getting tired of hearing it, when there's proof out there that it's not true.

The focus of education today is to coddle the student so that they have a feeling of accomplishment, even if they don't. They're considered good students if they just show up. That skills they learn seems to secondary to their feelings and they expect a good grade no mater what they turn in. Everyone 'owes".
Aceves does appear to be quite the political back scratcher for a racist cause.

There was the comment by a teacher that the only reason Charter Schools work is because they have control over who enrolls and greater control over expulsion, and I suspect that the same is true for private schools.

Gang Banger? Gone.

Too distracted with the party next weekend, that Quinceanera next month, romance and young lust and the general lack of cultural value for education? Don't want to be here? Ditching school? Gone.

The public schools in California have to deal with all of it, as well as non proficient English speakers, as well as the agenda of "teaching" kids that they are "exploited Mexicans" rather than American students. Again, as well as pushing that "you're so special" entitlement crap on all the kids. All to the detriment of education while throwing dollars to the wind.

Chicanista "Aztlan" is running on only three cylinders. Low literacy rates and Latino drop out rates the same as forty years ago in a school system subverted by racist Chicanismo.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:47 PM

Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Enlistee

To try to make sense of California school funding and expense is a difficult task. Sources of School funding are about 60% state, 20% federal, and a hodgepodge of other sources, such as Mello-Roos assessments and developer fees.

It is a lot of work to sort through the information and make the apples work with the oranges. There is incomplete and sometimes contradictory information, some of which may come from misrepresented information in reports. There are different methods for interpreting data, and there are different methods of presenting data.

One report may compare teacher's salaries in various states and adjust for cost of living, but doesn't tie in cost per pupil, drop out rate versus graduation data or learning proficiency. There is a lot of room for misinterpretation or manipulation of data.

Some things come through on a common enough theme.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:48 PM

ilbegone
View Public Profile
#36 Report Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Enlistee

About California's K–12 System

About half of all California students are Latino and about a third are white.
California’s students face particular academic challenges given that almost half of them are from low-income families and a quarter are identified as English learners.

The state contributes about $6 out of every $10 that goes to public education, and state leaders largely control how much funding each school district in California receives.

Each district has an elected school board that determines how to spend the money allocated by the state, but the board does so within the constraints of state and federal law and (with very few exceptions) collective bargaining commitments.

In 2006–07, California had more than 600 charter schools, serving 3.6% of the state’s K–12 student population.

California’s expenditures per pupil began losing ground compared with the national average in the late 1970s and have remained below the national average since 1982.

More than 80% of school expenditures are for salaries and benefits for certificated staff—including teachers, administrators, and other professionals—and classified staff, such as bus drivers, clerks, and cafeteria workers.

California public schools have only about three-quarters as many staff members as do schools on average in the United States.
Since 1998, California has invested more than $70 billion ($35.4 billion in state bonds plus $36.5 billion in local bond measures) in improving and expanding its school facilities.

http://www.edsource.org/sys_overview.html

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:49 PM

Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Enlistee

Teachers' Salaries

The average teacher salary in California was $63,640 in 2006–07, according to the NEA, higher than any other state. The U.S. average was $50,758. However, the relatively higher cost of living in California is a significant factor. When comparing teacher salaries among states, both the cost of living in each state and the seniority of the workforce play a role.

The American Federation of Teachers looked at average teacher salaries in 2000–01 and determined that when cost-of-living factors were taken into account, California ranked 16th in the nation.

Teacher Salary and Expenditure Comparisons chart for 2006-07

I can't make the chart intelligible here. It is worth seeing. http://www.edsource.org/sys_overview.html

A more recent 2005 analysis of elementary school teacher pay in 50 major metropolitan areas by the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA) provides further perspective. NCPA found that although elementary school teachers in San Francisco rank 2nd among the 50 areas with an unadjusted average salary of $59,284, the salary falls to $32,663 when adjusted for the cost of living, and San Francisco falls to 49th among the areas they compared.

Similarly, Los Angeles elementary school teachers' average salary ranked 4th before a cost-of-living adjustment and 48th after. Findings for secondary school teachers were similar.

NCPA determined metropolitan areas' cost of living by using the American Chamber of Commerce Researchers Association Cost of Living Index and calculated average teacher salaries using the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' Metropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates report.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:49 PM

Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Enlistee

High School Dropout and Completion Rates in the United States: 2007

Compendium Report

data for the District of Columbia, and Vermont were suppressed because
reporting standards were not met

Status dropout rates by race/ethnicity: The 2007 status dropout rates of Whites (5.3 percent) and Asians/Pacific Islanders (6.1 percent) were the lowest among the racial/ethnic groups considered in this report. The Black status dropout rate was 8.4 percent, followed by the Hispanic rate (21.4 percent) (table 6).

2007, the South and the West had higher status dropout rates (10.1 percent and 10.0 percent, respectively) than the Northeast and the Midwest (6.8 percent each)

Status completion rates by race/ethnicity: In 2007, among 18- through 24-year-olds not currently enrolled in high school, Whites and Asians/Pacific Islanders had higher status completion rates (93.5 percent and 93.1 percent, respectively) than Blacks (88.8 percent) or Hispanics (72.7 percent)

In 2007, some 56.1 percent of foreign-born Hispanics ages 18–24 who were not currently enrolled in high school had completed high school (table 9). Compared to foreign-born Hispanics, status completion rates were higher for Hispanics born in the United States

(85.9 percent for “first generation” and 85.1 percent for “second generation or higher”), although in each immigrant category Hispanics were less likely than non-Hispanics to have earned a high school credential

Status completion rates by region: Consistent with status dropout data by region, 18- through 24-year-olds in the South and West had lower status completion rates (87.2 percent and 87.1 percent, respectively) than their contemporaries in the Northeast (92.1 percent) and Midwest (91.4 percent)

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:50 PM

Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Enlistee

Interactive Map: See the latest high school dropout data for every local school (Sacramento region)

Phillip Reese
preese@sacbee.com

Published: Tuesday, May. 12, 2009 - 1:07 pm
Last Modified: Tuesday, May. 12, 2009 - 2:59 pm

Almost 5,000 students dropped out of high schools in the four-county region last year, according to statistics released by the state Tuesday. This map shows the high school dropout rate over the last four years at every high school with more than 150 students. Schools with a lot of kids in poverty had the highest dropout rates. Notice how many Alternative/Continuation schools have extremely high dropout rates, and often sit next to schools with low dropout rates. Critics sometimes contend many high schools foist likely dropouts onto these schools.

http://www.sacbee.com/1098/story/1855501.html

Jeanfromfillmore 10-23-2009 05:51 PM

ilbegone
View Public Profile
#40 Report Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Enlistee

Percentage of public high school students who graduate on time with a regular diploma.

In 2005-06, about three-quarters of the 2002-03 freshman class graduated from high school with a regular diploma.

This indicator examines the percentage of public high school students who graduate on time with a regular diploma. To do so, it uses the averaged freshman graduation rate—an estimate of the percentage of an incoming freshman class that graduates 4 years later.

For each year, the averaged freshman enrollment count is the sum of the number of 8th-graders 5 years earlier, the number of 9th-graders 4 years earlier (when current-year seniors were freshmen), and the number of 10th-graders 3 years earlier, divided by 3. The intent of this averaging is to account for the high rate of grade retention in the freshman year, which adds 9th-grade repeaters from the previous year to the number of students in the incoming freshman class each year.

Among public high school students in the class of 2005-06, the averaged freshman graduation rate was 73.2 percent in the 48 reporting states; that is, 2.6 million students graduated on time (see table A-19-1). Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and the District of Columbia did not report graduation counts in this year. Among the states that reported the 2005-06 graduation counts, Wisconsin had the highest graduation rate, at 87.5 percent. Thirteen other states had rates of 80 percent or more (ordered from high to low): Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, South Dakota, Vermont, North Dakota, Montana, New Hampshire, Missouri, Connecticut, Idaho, and Arkansas. Nevada had the lowest rate, at 55.8 percent. Nine other states had graduation rates below 70 percent (ordered from high to low): California, New York, New Mexico, Alaska, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana.

In order to compare rates across years, the averaged freshman graduation rates for the District of Columbia and the two states that did not report in 2005-06 were estimated. When these estimates are included with the reported 2005-06 data, the estimated rate for the nation is 73.4 percent. Using these estimates, the overall averaged freshman graduation rate among public school students increased from 71.7 percent for the graduating class of 2000-01 to 73.4 percent for the graduating class of 2005-06.

However, between 2004-05 and 2005-06, the overall averaged freshman graduation rate decreased from 74.7 percent to 73.4 percent. Overall, between school years 2000-01 and 2005-06, there was an increase in the graduation rate in 40 states and the District of Columbia; 9 of these states (Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii, Kentucky, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, South Dakota, and Tennessee) and the District of Columbia (2004-05 data) had an increase of greater than 5 percentage points. The graduation rate decreased in 10 states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Louisiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, North Dakota, Utah, and Virginia), with Nevada being the only state experiencing a decline of greater than 5 percentage points.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/2009...ndicator19.asp