Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   Communities in Crisis (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Another Nail In My Economic Coffin (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=3863)

Ayatollahgondola 04-23-2011 08:45 AM

Another Nail In My Economic Coffin

I've just received a renewal notice for license to haul. It's a county license, and it used to cost a little over 100 bucks. I had to submit a background check and be fingerprinted. All that has changed. A bill that became law in the state has now added some heavy, heavy administrative and other requirements that have made this business impossible for me.
The new requirements are additional costs for licensure, submitting to a larger scope backgound check at the sheriff to include asking if I have ever been charged with a crime....not convicted...charged!
Then, you have to prove 2 million in liability insurance on each policy. Also must submit two years worth of tax returns, and have an audited financial statement attached. Audited!. Must also submit to another, seperate vehicle inspection. I already have to be inspected by the state, and list my vehicles to the county. This is a new inspection on top of that.

Also need to have on file a plan to show how I intend to divert a certain percentage of the waste to recycle or re-use.

check out this 21 page application:

http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/swa/Do...2011.19.09.pdf

Bottom line is, there is only 16 haulers licensed thus far, and there's no way I'm able to comply with this at present

The compliance thing makes contractors and companies liable for fines if they don't use the approved haulers. You are supposed to get a sticker after your inspection and if you roll up to a job without one, the contractor or company is supposed to refuse you.

Thank the Green something or another legislation for this one.

Bear Flag Republican 04-23-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola (Post 15738)
I've just received a renewal notice for license to haul. It's a county license, and it used to cost a little over 100 bucks. I had to submit a background check and be fingerprinted. All that has changed. A bill that became law in the state has now added some heavy, heavy administrative and other requirements that have made this business impossible for me.
The new requirements are additional costs for licensure, submitting to a larger scope backgound check at the sheriff to include asking if I have ever been charged with a crime....not convicted...charged!
Then, you have to prove 2 million in liability insurance on each policy. Also must submit two years worth of tax returns, and have an audited financial statement attached. Audited!. Must also submit to another, seperate vehicle inspection. I already have to be inspected by the state, and list my vehicles to the county. This is a new inspection on top of that.

Also need to have on file a plan to show how I intend to divert a certain percentage of the waste to recycle or re-use.

check out this 21 page application:

http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/swa/Do...2011.19.09.pdf

Bottom line is, there is only 16 haulers licensed thus far, and there's no way I'm able to comply with this at present

The compliance thing makes contractors and companies liable for fines if they don't use the approved haulers. You are supposed to get a sticker after your inspection and if you roll up to a job without one, the contractor or company is supposed to refuse you.

Thank the Green something or another legislation for this one.

only 16?
well then halt it there. mass non-compliance can effect change.

Ayatollahgondola 04-23-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Flag Republican (Post 15739)
only 16?
well then halt it there. mass non-compliance can effect change.

this what they want though; kill the little guys first; then the big ones swallow each other until the government only has to control and tax a few. Look what happened to the grocery stores, auto supplies, office supplies, pet supplies, water, utitlities, etc.
then the government and the surviving cannibals rule the roost

ilbegone 04-23-2011 09:58 AM

Ayatolla, exactly what do you haul, what quantities, what sort of equipment does the haulage require?

The background check and finger printing I assume has to do with pervasive copper and aluminum theft, asking for anything more than convictions to apply for a license flies right in the face of presumption of innocence and proof of guilt doctrine in America.

As a side note, cash strapped Los Angeles is finally going after years of tax evasion by businesses in the city, and the state is pursuing what is essentially theft in the form of subsistence fraud, travel vouchers and payroll advances.

Ayatollahgondola 04-23-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilbegone (Post 15744)
Ayatolla, exactly what do you haul, what quantities, what sort of equipment does the haulage require?

The background check and finger printing I assume has to do with pervasive copper and aluminum theft, asking for anything more than convictions to apply for a license flies right in the face of presumption of innocence and proof of guilt doctrine in America.

As a side note, cash strapped Los Angeles is finally going after years of tax evasion by businesses in the city, and the state is pursuing what is essentially theft in the form of subsistence fraud, travel vouchers and payroll advances.

I haul pretty much anything. Our biggest rig is a 35 yard dump trailer, and there is also 3 small flatbed trailers, one or more of which can be towed in tandem. The truck is a 1 ton able to tow 5th wheels, pull trailers..
Weight wise, I've hauled 13k pounds of load, plus the truck and trailer weight, but often it's much smaller.
The fingerprinting had nothing to do with copper theft, as that requirement pre-dated the rise in copper prices by a decade. I don't know why they started that. that's not even a big deal for me, as they're my fingerprints, and I'm as confortable with anyone knowing they're mine as I am people knowing my face and phone number.
So show me where the city is going after tax evasion. this interests me. :confused:

ilbegone 04-23-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola (Post 15746)
I haul pretty much anything. Our biggest rig is a 35 yard dump trailer, and there is also 3 small flatbed trailers, one or more of which can be towed in tandem. The truck is a 1 ton able to tow 5th wheels, pull trailers..
Weight wise, I've hauled 13k pounds of load, plus the truck and trailer weight, but often it's much smaller.
The fingerprinting had nothing to do with copper theft, as that requirement pre-dated the rise in copper prices by a decade. I don't know why they started that. that's not even a big deal for me, as they're my fingerprints, and I'm as confortable with anyone knowing they're mine as I am people knowing my face and phone number.
So show me where the city is going after tax evasion. this interests me. :confused:

Thirty five yards is a good size load, 13k lbs is about the weight of my F250 with a small fifth wheel.

I believe the tax story was on channel 9 Los Angeles news station last night, the main story had to do with a large motel which had not paid its bed tax for years, and the back tax burden was in the $millions. There was an interview with Carmen Trutinich, city attorney, to the effect that if the back tax wasn't paid the city would seize the motel and sell the assets. I believe there was also discussion of other industries within Los Angeles, but I was tired and don't properly recall to what other businesses were discussed.

Ayatollahgondola 04-23-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilbegone (Post 15748)
Thirty five yards is a good size load, 13k lbs is about the weight of my F250 with a small fifth wheel.

I believe the tax story was on channel 9 Los Angeles news station last night, the main story had to do with a large motel which had not paid its bed tax for years, and the back tax burden was in the $millions. There was an interview with Carmen Trutinich, city attorney, to the effect that if the back tax wasn't paid the city would seize the motel and sell the assets. I believe there was also discussion of other industries within Los Angeles, but I was tired and don't properly recall to what other businesses were discussed.

OK, I did see the hotel story. I also saw that they said it was believed that he under-reported the amount. I wish I could see the records down there, but the county of LA is quite proprietary with their public info when you don't actually reside there. But taxing agencies can be quite heavy handed in collections when they feel there's some good funds to come from it. I wonder if he's appealed, or even tried to fight. Maybe he is a cheat though, and that's fine that they go after him. What I don't like is the imbalance of their efforts. They attack the bigger single targets, and meanwhile subsidize a few hudred thousand illegals as they defraud the system daily. Are we satisfied that they are doing the best thing for their constituency when a case like this comes and offers re-assurance? Sure...it works....especially for the illegals and other frauds. The heat is off them, and on to this million dollar cheat. One villian then takes the fall and acts as a diversion.

ilbegone 04-23-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola (Post 15749)
They attack the bigger single targets, and meanwhile subsidize a few hudred thousand illegals as they defraud the system daily.

This is true.

I did some work in the Garment District in Downtown LA for a while. From what I observed, Villaraigosas' "vibrant community" ranging from street vendors of bacon wrapped hot dogs to cheap knock offs of very expensive name brand accessories has been boycotting Villaraigosa and city hall for years with cash sales and two sets of books.

On the other hand, I once sought tax advice from a former IRS agent. He told me that the IRS goes after the money with audits, they don't normally try to recover relatively small amounts. Maybe it costs more to chase minor individual scofflaws that it brings in.

Ayatollahgondola 05-24-2011 09:57 PM

Little update here:

I found a buyer and sold off my dump trailer yesterday. Took 1 month, and didn't get but one serious buyer. Also didn't get what I wanted for it because there's not much desire for dump trailers that big anymore. Big surprise, since the counties are pretty much knocking out the small businesses like mine with these new rules inspired by green legislation that passed in the state, that is being inspired by the feds.

It was hard for me to part with that trailer, as I've had it since the early '90s, and it has saved me a bundle in dumpster fees over the years, along with being extremely convenient too.

ilbegone 05-25-2011 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear that.