Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   Immigration (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AZ SUit by FedGov Undermines Democrats (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=2525)

Don 07-11-2010 06:51 PM

AZ SUit by FedGov Undermines Democrats

Democratic governors are worried that that the Obama Adm's DOJ lawsuit against AZ will backfire in the November 2010 election. According to this NY Times report, the Democratic party is divided over this issue.

What an interesting story. RINO's like Michael Medved and Hugh Hewitt (and others) have warned that the illegal immigration issue will cause a backlash against the GOP and that we should just not mention it. Just sweep it under the rug and let millions of third world primitives walk over our undefended border, take our country from us without firing a shot! Well, now it's the Democrat Governors who are worried about the effect of unilateral surrender to the Mexican Invasion. Well, now it appears that the shoe is on the other foot. It's the Democrats who may be losers on this issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/us...governors.html

Jeanfromfillmore 07-11-2010 11:24 PM

Governors: Obama's Immigration Suit Is 'Toxic'
Democratic governors expressed "grave" concerns to White House officials this weekend about the Obama administration's suit against Arizona's new immigration law, warning it could cost the party in crucial elections this fall, The New York Times reported late Sunday.
The closed-door meeting
took place at the National Governors Association in Boston on Saturday, according to two unnamed governors who spoke to the Times.
"Universally the governors are saying, 'We've got to talk about jobs, and all of a sudden we have immigration going on,'" Gov. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee, a Democrat, was quoted as saying. "It is such a toxic subject, such an important time for Democrats."
The Arizona law, which is facing a U.S. Justice Department challenge, requires police to question people about their immigration status while enforcing other laws if there's reason to suspect someone is in the country illegally.
"I might have chosen both a different tack and a different time," Gov. Bill Ritter Jr. of Colorado, a Democrat, was quoted by the Times as saying. "This is an issue that divides us politically, and I'm hopeful that their strategy doesn't do that in a way that makes it more difficult for candidates to get elected, particularly in the West."
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano met privately with Arizona Governor Jan Brewer, who signed the immigration bill into law last month, for a half-hour on Sunday.
Napolitano, the former governor
of Arizona, ignored a request for comment following their meeting, but Brewer said the two did not discuss the lawsuit. Instead, she said they had a cordial conversation centered on her efforts to win Arizona more National Guard troops to guard its border with Mexico, as well as her plea for reconnaissance helicopters and more unmanned aerial vehicles to prevent illegal crossings.
Attorney General Eric Holder, meanwhile, said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday that the federal government was leading with its "strongest" argument in the suit filed Tuesday and would not rule out a second suit months down the road -- if the law ends up going into effect.
"It doesn't mean that if the law for whatever reason happened to go into effect, that six months from now, a year from now, we might not look at the impact the law has had ... and see whether or not there has been that racial profiling impact," Holder said. "If that was the case, we would have the tools and we would bring suit on that basis."
The lawsuit filed last week in U.S. District Court in Arizona claimed the state was infringing on federal immigration responsibilities and urged the judge to prevent the law from going into effect at the end of July. Despite some officials' claims that the law could lead to racial profiling, that concern was not cited as grounds for the suit.
Rallying around Gov. Brewer at the Boston meeting, Republican Gov. Dave Heineman of Nebraska told the Times: "I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that almost every state in America next January is going to see a bill similar to Arizona's."
The White House did not directly respond to the Times report of complaints from Democratic governors.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...on-suit-toxic/

wetibbe 07-12-2010 05:43 AM

Here's SB 1070 and DOJ law suit

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...bill_text_2010

You will find here the Arizona law complete, the subsequent amendments and also a brief synopsis of it's contents. The law is 18 pages.

Also there is a link to the Eric Holder DOJ suit against Arizona. It actually only contains three complaints, two deal with Federal supremacy over states and the third is about "commerce" impeding the movement between states.

I actually read it!!!!! I'm quite sure the DOJ attorneys read it also.

SB-1070 is certainly much more involved than simply determining an aliens immigration status. It goes on to also involve hiring, transporting, carrying mandatory ID documents.

Some of DOJ's arguments are pretty silly. And some are very disturbing. They are whining about Arizona actually enforcing Federal Law but at the same time saying that the Federal Government has the power and authority to selectively enforce, or to not enforce, at their entire discretion. That's really very disturbing and arrogant. What about Congress ?

I find that there are some aspects of the SB 1070 where Arizona should prevail normally as they mirror Federal Law. But I am also apprehensive about it because it goes further than Federal Law and imposes fines and punishment on the illegal aliens, employers and those that aid and abet the illegals. It's not simple and straightforward.

My guess is that Arizona will be lucky if this law flies. I have seen in many Towns that when they imposed their own anti illegal immigration laws, all too ofter they are attacked by the ACLU, PRLDEF and other groups. And they lose. Basically the actual laws are not the criteria for deciding. The decision rests solely upon the Judge that hears the case. When the prognosticators say the DOJ is hoping to draw a liberal judge they are absolutely right. If the Judge is a conservative Republican Arizona has a chance. If not a liberal, progressive Democrat will bat it down. Then comes the appeals and on up to the Supreme court. That will probably take more than 2 years. Jan Brewer may not even be Governor when this is finally resolved and the House may be Republican. This could go past the next Presidential election and in the meantime Arizona will continue to wallow in the morass of being overrun by invaders.

But there may be a silver lining. The Democrat Congressmen and Senators are squirming and mad at Obama and Holder. That's a good thing. Just maybe Holder unwittingly will contribute to a Republican landslide. It seems that press secretary Gibbs is conceding that "they" may lose the house in November.

usa today 07-12-2010 05:56 AM

Actually they have very little chance of winning this deal in court

And the harm its going to do to dems running for office is an early Xmas gift for us.

Once the law goes into effect I have no doubt though that they will set up false profiling charges , you can bet on it.