Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   Municipalities (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LA County Looks into Maywood Improprieties (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=1156)

Ayatollahgondola 02-19-2010 06:00 AM

LA County Looks into Maywood Improprieties

This may be like the wolves investigating the foxes, but at least there's some news about the operations of this city. Wonder if they'll check for American flags?

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/2548347.html

Quote:

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office is investigating alleged misconduct by Maywood city officials

Ole Glory 02-19-2010 06:16 AM

It' about time. Better late than never. Maywood is Mexihole.

ilbegone 02-19-2010 06:41 PM

LA Co. DA investigating Maywood city council

The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, Feb. 18, 2010 - 7:39 pm

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles County district attorney's office is investigating alleged misconduct by Maywood city officials.

Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Snyder said Thursday that the Public Integrity Unit is looking into allegations of misappropriation of public funds and whether City Council members and other officials met in private to reach a consensus in violation of the Brown Act.

Snyder says prosecutors are also trying to figure out whether hiring someone who also works for the neighboring city of Bell would present a conflict of interest for that employee.

Councilman Felipe Aguirre says he knew of no meetings held outside the council chambers, but other council members declined to comment.

Maywood is a small city of about 30,000 people located about six miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles.

Jeanfromfillmore 02-19-2010 07:45 PM

The feds have been investigating Maywood for years. I remember just after the Maywood 1 protest, one of our old members who was a police officer there, signed on our old board and told us exactly what was going on and the feds were investigating the city council and others. He told us how the drug cartels were using the restaurants in town, giving them free food and drinks to get close to them and such.

The scary thing is that about two years ago a restaurant was opened up in Fillmore by a family who also has a restaurant there in Maywood and the surrounding towns. It's called El Pascodar or (the fisherman), not sure I spelled the Spanish name correctly. But I also remember reading something a few months back about there being an investigation in Maywood involving gang/drugs/city council and the connection was the restaurants, specifically seafood restaurants.

Rim05 02-19-2010 08:27 PM

Maywood seems to be one of the very bad places in the area. Nothing has been said about Huntington Park but the two cities are very close in ties. That area is the same as TJ.

ilbegone 02-19-2010 08:52 PM

El Pescador.

There's one in Santa Paula, nothing special. It's been a learning source for me. In fact, it's where I saw the video of Vicente Fernandez sitting on a horse, Mariachi back up behind him, singing to a young woman behind wrought iron bars covering a window, as if she were imprisoned in her parent's home.

The woman tilted her head back and forth with soft eyes and apparent near swoonage.

The preposterous part of it all was that Fernandez had his mustache and eyebrows dyed coal black, but a fountain of gray burst out from his sombrero past his ears and through his sideburns.

If it's the one I'm thinking of in Fillmore, it's pretentious and charges way too much for a beer and a shot of tequila. I liked the place in Santa Paula better with its cheap booths and the girls who asked me "todo bien?

The one in Fillmore has more of an uppity, contrived feeling to it for me, where the waiter or waitress might call you "senor" and serve you a more gringo-ized version of crap on a plate "a su gusto, pinche guero".

The latter would be a place where a corrupt politician might want to be wooed by a Mexican drug criminal. It's interesting to hear that El Pescador could well be a "diversification" of a Mexican drug gang. The pretentious glitz fits in the Fillmore version.

If I remember right, there was an old U-haul on the north side of 126 which had a billboard like advertisement for the Pescador west of Fillmore.

Jeanfromfillmore 02-20-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilbegone (Post 5741)
El Pescador.

There's one in Santa Paula, nothing special. It's been a learning source for me. In fact, it's where I saw the video of Vicente Fernandez sitting on a horse, Mariachi back up behind him, singing to a young woman behind wrought iron bars covering a window, as if she were imprisoned in her parent's home.

The woman tilted her head back and forth with soft eyes and apparent near swoonage.

The preposterous part of it all was that Fernandez had his mustache and eyebrows dyed coal black, but a fountain of gray burst out from his sombrero past his ears and through his sideburns.

If it's the one I'm thinking of in Fillmore, it's pretentious and charges way too much for a beer and a shot of tequila. I liked the place in Santa Paula better with its cheap booths and the girls who asked me "todo bien?

The one in Fillmore has more of an uppity, contrived feeling to it for me, where the waiter or waitress might call you "senor" and serve you a more gringo-ized version of crap on a plate "a su gusto, pinche guero".

The latter would be a place where a corrupt politician might want to be wooed by a Mexican drug criminal. It's interesting to hear that El Pescador could well be a "diversification" of a Mexican drug gang. The pretentious glitz fits in the Fillmore version.

If I remember right, there was an old U-haul on the north side of 126 which had a billboard like advertisement for the Pescador west of Fillmore.

Yes, good memory. It's still there and there's on the west side of town on the 126 going toward Santa Paula also. I've only heard about the restaurant in Santa Paula, I've never eaten there. The new one here in Fillmore I've been to once on my birthday. I never went back. Ya, they tried to make it upscale, but just the thought of it being backed by drug money just makes me sick. Their other restaurants in Maywood, Bell and such are owned by other family members. It just reminds me that nowhere has the drug money not had an impact. The cartels own businesses all over, especially where there's a high population of Hispanics. Sad, just sad.