Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   State Government (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   California DREAM Act Goes Down In Veto (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=2881)

Ayatollahgondola 09-30-2010 10:06 PM

California DREAM Act Goes Down In Veto

Cedillo loses another one. The people who keep asking him to get things done should start realizing he has been poisonous with his drivers license bills

Quote:

To the Members of the California State Senate:
I am returning Senate Bill 1460 without my signature.
I have always wholeheartedly supported the policy of making higher education
opportunities as affordable as possible for all California’s students. Our state’s university
and community college systems are amongst the finest in the country and should be made
accessible to those seeking a better life through higher education. Unfortunately, given
the precarious fiscal situation that the state faces, it would not be practical to adopt a new
policy that could limit the financial aid available to students that are in California legally,
in order to provide that benefit to those students who are not.
Since the beginning of the year, I have committed to provide the highest amount of
funding for higher education, including for financial aid to needy students, that I believe
is prudent given all of the competing interest for limited resources. Given the difficult
decisions that are yet to be made to enact a state budget, I am still hopeful that the
funding level that I have proposed for higher education will still be enacted. However,
with that uncertainty, coupled with the ongoing fiscal liabilities California will continue
to face in the coming years, the State needs to be especially cautious in even considering
enacting a measure like this.
For these reasons, I am unable to sign this bill.
Sincerely,
Arnold
Schwarzenegger

Rim05 10-01-2010 03:18 AM

Thank you Arnie, we needed that.

Twoller 10-01-2010 08:53 AM

His whole argument against providing student aid to illegal immigrants is that we can't afford it.

Thanks for nothing, Ah-nold. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way back to Austria.

ilbegone 10-02-2010 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twoller (Post 12524)
His whole argument against providing student aid to illegal immigrants is that we can't afford it.

Thanks for nothing, Ah-nold. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way back to Austria.

Same thing Cedillo said.

Rim05 10-02-2010 04:49 AM

No matter the reason given, I am just so glad he vetoed it. There are American citizens who cannot get into classes because there are no openings. They are part time students is one reason. Seems the continuing students get the first slots. That seems reasonable to some extent, however a part time student could have some important reason to not be able to attend full time. Tuition and work are important reasons.
These days there are times when I think our government is more interested in helping the world than it is in helping the USA. Bad mistake.

Jeanfromfillmore 10-02-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rim05 (Post 12539)
No matter the reason given, I am just so glad he vetoed it. There are American citizens who cannot get into classes because there are no openings. They are part time students is one reason. Seems the continuing students get the first slots. That seems reasonable to some extent, however a part time student could have some important reason to not be able to attend full time. Tuition and work are important reasons.
These days there are times when I think our government is more interested in helping the world than it is in helping the USA. Bad mistake.

Rimo, the continuing students do get priority, but the part time do as well. The priority is based on whether you were enrolled in a class the previous semester, how many units you've completed and your gpa, and the priority goes in that order. It is true that it is hard to get started because when you first enroll, most of the classes you probably want are full. You then have to try to crash a class, meaning you audit the class hoping someone will drop in the first two weeks and the instructor will then let you join. Or you enroll in any class you can, whether you need it or not. That gets you into the system. It is rally a waste of both the students time and money along with the states education funds because you have to attend a class you don't really want. But that's what you have to do to get started in the system.

Now of course there are so many fewer classes available that even those classes that often weren't full are now full because the new students just want to get into the system for the next semester, and those "fringe" classes are being cut, so it's really getting hard to get started.

But what I know as a fact, because as most of you know many of my friends are professors or teachers, is that the ESL classes are not being cut back or dropped. They are even being kept open with less than 10 enrolled, and they cost double what most other classes cost because they're at east 5 units with at least 10 hours a week instruction.

If someone wants proof that this state has turned against our citizens, look no farther than our schools.