Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Illegal immigrant can't get law license, Florida high court rules (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=8975)

Jeanfromfillmore 03-07-2014 03:00 PM

Illegal immigrant can't get law license, Florida high court rules

Illegal immigrant can't get law license, Florida high court rules

Immigrants in the country illegally can't be given a license to practice law, a question that was raised when a man who moved here from Mexico when he was 9 years old sought a license in Florida, the state Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

The court said federal law prohibits people who are unlawfully in the country from obtaining professional licenses. The justices said state law can override the federal ban, but Florida has taken no action to do so.

"Simply stated, current federal law prohibits this court from issuing a license to practice law to an unlawful or unauthorized immigrant," the court wrote.
The case involves Jose Godinez-Samperio, whose parents brought him to the United States on tourist visas and then never returned to Mexico. He graduated from New College in Florida, earned a law degree fromFlorida State University and passed the state bar in 2011.

Godinez-Samperio was represented by his former law professor, Sandy D'Alemberte, who is a former American Bar Association president.

Godinez-Samperio received a work permit in 2012 as part of President Barack Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which halted the deportation of immigrants brought to the United States as children. He is working as a paralegal at Gulf Coast Legal Services, which provides free legal help to low-income people in the Tampa Bay area.

"I'm feeling very disappointed, but more than anything I'm feeling outraged at Congress, that they have failed to take action on immigration reform, they have failed to take action on dreamers issues and actually I'm feeling outraged at the president as well," Godinez-Samperio said, noting that the U.S. Justice Department filed a brief in the case stating that the license shouldn't be granted.

"If I were able to practice law I would be able to help so many immigrants navigate the legal system," he said.

Justice Jorge Labarga expressed disappointment in the decision even though he reluctantly agreed with it. He called the situation an injustice and mentioned Godinez-Samperio's was an Eagle Scout and the valedictorian of his high school. He said he and his family were welcomed with open arms when they arrived from Cuba because they were perceived as fleeing a tyrannical communist government, but Godinez-Samperio is perceived as a defector from poverty and is thus "viewed negatively."

Labarga said Godinez-Samperio was "the type of exemplary individual The Florida Bar should strive to add to its membership."

The Board of Bar Examiners in Florida found no reason to deny Godinez-Samperio a license but asked the state's high court for guidance because of his immigration status.

Similar cases have played out in other states. Earlier this year, the California Supreme Court granted a law license to Sergio Garcia, who arrived in the U.S. from Mexico as a teenager to pick almonds with his father. But that ruling was only after the state approved a law that allows immigrants in the country illegally to obtain the license.

Labarga said Godinez-Saperios "is so near to realizing his goals yet so agonizingly far because, regrettably, unlike the California Legislature, the Florida Legislature has not exercised its considerable authority on this important question."

D'Alemberte said he has already been in touch with House and Senate leadership about changing the law during the 60-day legislative session that began Tuesday.

wetibbe 03-08-2014 07:18 AM

Disgusting !

It never ends. Duplicitous, disingenuous, dishonest, disgraceful.

As the saying goes: "He who comes into court to seek equity must come with clean hands".

Cuba is a special set aside from the general rules. These governments of ours have allowed huge numbers of Cubans to come here for decades. The rule was that if they made landfall on US soil they could stay here. But that was only Cubans and everyone else was excluded. It was all politics opposing Castro. It was special and preferential treatment and fundamentally dishonest.

Unfortunately far too many politicians and the general public have mixed opinions and emotions about foreigners. It covers the spectrum. Each has a special motive and their motives assembled amount to very many differing reasons.

There is no uniformity in applying and enforcing the laws. As it is also said it's like trying to herd cats in a car wash. Each judge has his/her own particular "bent" on the immigration laws and these fall into two basic and fundamental categories:

#1. Liberal, left, progressive, usually Democrats .

#2. Conservative, right Republicans.

In the general pubic there is a far more diverse range of attitudes and opinions but here we are discussing the laws.

In reality very few customs and immigration laws are actually being reinforced either by Republicans or Democrats. Over the years I have watched the slippage and loosening of enforcement. There are numerous reasons. The country is being overwhelmed, for starters. There is a sad lack of manpower and resources. There is an even greater lack of enthusiasm. Indeed some law enforcement is openly sympathetic to illegal aliens and some simply says: Not my job !

I'm not at all sympathetic to the dilemma here above described. The lawyer should GO BACK to Mexico, get in line and follow the due process of immigration. His mother and father, if still alive and here, should also be fined and deported. They gamed the system. They are dishonest.

But ours is a nation of two faced, duplicitous creepy politicians.

Jeanfromfillmore 03-08-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetibbe (Post 24807)
It never ends. Duplicitous, disingenuous, dishonest, disgraceful.

As the saying goes: "He who comes into court to seek equity must come with clean hands".

Cuba is a special set aside from the general rules. These governments of ours have allowed huge numbers of Cubans to come here for decades. The rule was that if they made landfall on US soil they could stay here. But that was only Cubans and everyone else was excluded. It was all politics opposing Castro. It was special and preferential treatment and fundamentally dishonest.

Unfortunately far too many politicians and the general public have mixed opinions and emotions about foreigners. It covers the spectrum. Each has a special motive and their motives assembled amount to very many differing reasons.

There is no uniformity in applying and enforcing the laws. As it is also said it's like trying to herd cats in a car wash. Each judge has his/her own particular "bent" on the immigration laws and these fall into two basic and fundamental categories:

#1. Liberal, left, progressive, usually Democrats .

#2. Conservative, right Republicans.

In the general pubic there is a far more diverse range of attitudes and opinions but here we are discussing the laws.

In reality very few customs and immigration laws are actually being reinforced either by Republicans or Democrats. Over the years I have watched the slippage and loosening of enforcement. There are numerous reasons. The country is being overwhelmed, for starters. There is a sad lack of manpower and resources. There is an even greater lack of enthusiasm. Indeed some law enforcement is openly sympathetic to illegal aliens and some simply says: Not my job !

I'm not at all sympathetic to the dilemma here above described. The lawyer should GO BACK to Cuba, get in line and follow the due process of immigration. His mother and father, if still alive and here, should also be fined and deported. They gamed the system. They are dishonest.

But ours is a nation of two faced, duplicitous creepy politicians.

I think you misread the article. The illegal was from Mexico, and the judge's family came from Cuba.

wetibbe 03-09-2014 05:19 AM

No, I didn't misread the article. Rather I inadvertently typed in Cuba instead of Mexico. I did go back and correct the misdirection.

In reality I have become so pessimistic and skeptical that I am suspicious of just about everything that the media puts out. A person could speculate until the cow's come home but it would be a waste of time.

I simply don't know the truth about who that guy is or how reliable his story could be. They are such outrageously accomplished liars and identity thieves.

However, I have here in New Jersey a female Cuban American friend and "network partner" that is absolutely far ahead of almost everyone when it comes to "despising" illegal aliens, particularly Latinos and especially Mexicans. I have known her for over 10 years and she is unrelenting.

She associates with a group called: " You don't speak for me".

https://www.google.com/search?source...+speak+fopr+me

ilbegone 03-09-2014 08:52 AM

I had forgotten about You Don't Speak for Me.

If it is the same organization as your American friend of Cuban ancestry, I believe it was founded by a man from San Diego, Al Rodriguez, whom I believe to be of Mexican ancestry.

I think Lupe Moreno, who was active in the Southern California illegal immigration movement, to have been a member.

Since the group gives lie to the notion that the so called "Latino community" is a monolithic rock in thought and purpose, it has been virtually ignored by the media. The so called "rights groups" have described YDSFM as "front men" for "racist anti immigrant groups" (of just about any group you could mention).

I think a lot of them have been beaten down pretty hard in southern California.

wetibbe 03-10-2014 08:01 AM

Yep, thats it !

One and the same.

Carmen and Lupe have been friends for years, mutually attending various events.

Here are some other activists here in NJ & NY.

http://www.unitedpatriotsofamerica.com/

http://www.njcic.com/

http://www.nyice.us/

We here on the East Coast reach across to our brothers and sisters on the West Coast for the common cause.

Patriotic Army Mom 03-10-2014 11:14 AM

I've always enjoyed being at events these two have been at.